Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

I have buyer lined up to buy my 2012 848 evo stealth black. I only put 2K miles on so didn't use it much. I love the style, color and ducati original single side swing arm. I am torn between selling this (bike i absolutely love) and picking up a new 899 which i haven't seen in person. Any advice here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Get it! Had an 848 before and picked up a 899 after the 848 was totaled. It handles great, instantly felt more responsive, and is much more comfortable to ride than the 848. Also, a double sided swingarm means jack s*** while flying down the road with exhaust roaring. You won't be disappointed! Good luck either way tho man

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Id say first step would be seeing it in person and even riding it if you canbefore selling the bike it sounds you love alot. Do alot of homework on EVERYTHING first before jumping the gun.
Also, if its not much of a huge difference in payment and insurance for you id agree that you can score a 2013, hell maybe even a 12 on the 1199s and move up to the bigger bike!
Not sure where you're located again but I can certainly hook you up w a dealer to give you a sweet deal too! Lots to weigh im sure but I agree it may be well worth it in long run, unless you are that content w what you have now and can just keep that? Believe me, im one who would absolutely love getting the latest and greatest out there but after dumping about 10k into my 2012 Tricolore I am now just keeping it and trying not to look at the new stuff or SL instead! :)

·
Banned
124 Posts
The 899 will have more power, it'll stop better, handle better, be more comfortable, and have a better electronics package.

But...as I've discovered with my bike, 'better' isn't always 'better'.

Ride the 899 and pick the one that stirs the soul - the one that has you grinning inside your helmet every time you ride it. Which ever bike gives you that feeling - that's the bike for you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
How much more is it going to cost you to upgrade?
Did you buy the 848 brand new? By selling it now, will you take a big hit on it?

Only 2k miles is barely getting to know the bike.
Newer better versions will keep coming out. Will you keep upgrading?

The decision is up to you if you want to keep taking a financial hit and upgrading.
Don’t get me wrong if I could get the newer version every 2-3 years I’d do it but I’m not in that financial position yet.

·
Registered
218 Posts
1199S is the smart move.

899 is about 3% "better" than the 848, all things considered. If you love the style of the 848, are you willing to move to the 899 for 3%?

And especially with 2k miles on it. Crazy talk. Either keep it, or hit an 1199S. Maybe if your bike was totalled and you had all the cash sitting there waiting to pull the trigger...but as is, not something I'd be considering.

·
Registered
218 Posts
the 899 has an additional 8hp, and 1Nm of torque. compared to the base EVO, it's also 3lbs heavier.

average out all the changes, you get somewhere between 2 and 3%.

I'm not saying the 899 is a shit bike. the opposite in fact. given the upgraded electronics package, its obviously a better bike. but not a smart move from an 848 - unless, as i said, your 848 got totalled/stolen etc and you're just sitting on cash.

if i was thinking of upgrading from a 848, a '12 1199S would be at the top of my list. horses for courses though...

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I was just wondering what the 3% are based on because it is fairly hard to calculate a percentage of "better-ness" for a complete bike. Based on the electronics, the 899 is actually 100% better (or indefinitely depending on how you wanna look at it) but what does that actually mean? Do I take the 3% horsepower/torque/weight ratio as well as the 100% for electronics and all the other percentages for various areas and take the median?

Furthermore, more horsepower and torque doesn't necessarily make a bike better - well for some (bigger is better) it may, I guess.

I do consider the 899 a better bike than the 848 in many technical aspects (looks are subjective anyway) and I am contemplating swapping my 848 for it as all the added electronics make sense for my intended purpose (street only). Does that make the 848 a bad bike? Of course not.

The 1199S is a different league altogether, not only is it a different engine configuration but it also is an up-spec model. Is it the smart move? Nope. Not for me...because of my intended purpose. Again, I am not saying it wouldn't be for you as your requirements for a bike are certainly different than mine.

I guess, I just don't like generalization too much... :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
lol. you need that quickshifter for the street, do you?

i simply dont understand anyone wanting to jump from an 848 EVO to an 899 because it's an "upgrade". it's like selling your Mitsubishi Evo 9 to buy an Evo 10. Sure it's a new design, new package etc, but seriously, for all intents and purposes, it's the same goddamn car. When you could have a '12 R35 GTR for very close to the same price, it makes no sense to take the '14 Mitsubishi Evo 10 when you've just had an Evo 9!

don't you want to challenge yourself?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
lol. you need that quickshifter for the street, do you?
Nope...but I can use the traction control and ABS.

i simply dont understand anyone wanting to jump from an 848 EVO to an 899 because it's an "upgrade". it's like selling your Mitsubishi Evo 9 to buy an Evo 10. Sure it's a new design, new package etc, but seriously, for all intents and purposes, it's the same goddamn car. When you could have a '12 R35 GTR for very close to the same price, it makes no sense to take the '14 Mitsubishi Evo 10 when you've just had an Evo 9!

don't you want to challenge yourself?
And that is perfectly fine. I also don't understand why some people think that bigger is always better. Each to his own.

However, I do not consider the 899 an upgrade. The 848 EVO was an upgrade, the 899 is literally a new bike. If it were simply an upgrade, the 1199S can be considered an upgrade as well as the only difference more or less is the added horsepower.

I do challenge myself...every time I am on the track. I simply have no need for a liter bike anymore as the current supersport/middleweight bikes are more than enough for the kind of riding I do on the street.

Again, I am not saying that you shouldn't buy your 1199S or that it is wrong to not consider the 899 a viable update to the 848...I am just saying that different people have different needs. The 1199S might be the smart move for you...but that doesn't mean it is in general...

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Nope...but I can use the traction control and ABS.

And that is perfectly fine. I also don't understand why some people think that bigger is always better. Each to his own.

However, I do not consider the 899 an upgrade. The 848 EVO was an upgrade, the 899 is literally a new bike. If it were simply an upgrade, the 1199S can be considered an upgrade as well as the only difference more or less is the added horsepower.

I do challenge myself...every time I am on the track. I simply have no need for a liter bike anymore as the current supersport/middleweight bikes are more than enough for the kind of riding I do on the street.

Again, I am not saying that you shouldn't buy your 1199S or that it is wrong to not consider the 899 a viable update to the 848...I am just saying that different people have different needs. The 1199S might be the smart move for you...but that doesn't mean it is in general...
I have been married for 45 years, smaller was better!!!

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
Better is very subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. While I don't mind the looks of the 899, it's just missing something that the 848 has. I've ridden both back to back and you don't notice the HP/Tq difference. It's very minimal. On the streets or occasional track day.....you'll spend faaar too much time trying to set up the electronics on the 899. Simplicity wins out over gadgets and doodads.

For comfort....once again subjective. The 899 is NOT comfortable for me. It fits me wrong compared to the 848. The seat sends me into the tank and I have nothing for my knees to press against during hard stops like my 848 does. The reach from seat to bar is also not optimal and I found discomfort between my shoulder blades on the 899.

For handling......I run stock suspension on my 848 with just a rear spring and fork springs added to adjust it for my personal weight. The 899 I rode was all stock so it would need the same. The biggest things I did to get the 848 to handle great was new springs, a little tweaking on the fork height and switching to Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires. Quickened the steering and drops in nicely and holds a good line. I'm only riding on the back roads and track days so I'm not Valentino Rossi and shit.

The 848 you have is a fantastic machine. Love it, massage it, clean it and tweak it. Keep it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They won't be making the 848 anymore. I bought a 2013 848 evo course se, and I'm glad I did. wouldn't even consider buying 899. 1199 is the only way to go. Just hold on to the bike a little longer, you should be able to get top dollar for it. I'm putting my bike up for sale for 14000 and the dealer offered me 11500.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.