Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads,

I'm already desperate with this motorbike. 2009 Ducati Streetfighter 1100S with 30000 miles.

Symptoms and explanation:
YouTube video of the problem here: https://youtu.be/m1wnuWbpj-o

When turning on the bike and stopping at a STOP sign or traffic light the idle speed is crazy, sometimes goes crazy up -2000RPM or more-, most of the times goes crazy down -like the video- and stalls. The problem starts being barely noticeable and every day of usage the problem gets worse and worse until it happens what you see on the video. Some days later after what you see on the video it's impossible to have the engine running at all. It does not keep the idle speed even for half of a second.

Temporary solution:
Replacing and resetting the TPS only fixes the problem. After doing that, the bike is a monster, works perfectly fine, but after a short period of time using it daily -2 or 3 months for example-, the symptoms of the problem start again, being barely noticeable and everyday worsen until the motorbike cannot even start the engine.

The TPS has been replaced 3 times already. Every time that is done, the motorbike runs like new, but after some time it everything starts again. Desperating.

Workshop:
They've replaced battery, ECU, TPS, filters, checked vacuum leaks etc... Until they found the TPS was the only part generating the problem. This is the 4th time the motorbike is in the workshop. They say that when turning the key on, data from TPS says that throttle is half way open and because of that, it's injecting too much fuel to be able to start the engine... They have no idea what to look for so they propose to replace the entire throttle body but that's $1500 so I would like to know if anybody here had the same problem.

HELP!
What can I do? Anybody had the same problem with this bike? What should the workshop guys look for?

It has to be an electrical problem but they say that the tools that Ducati provide them with are not enough for those kind of difficult problems.

Any ideas would greatly help!

Thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have you tried seafoam? Dirty injector...
Have you examined the contacts for corrosion on the tps circuit? 2-3 months fits with general oxidation...
What's the condition of your chasis ground,battery ground etc
Do you still have any of the previous TPS units? What's the condition of the wires?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried seafoam? Dirty injector...
Have you examined the contacts for corrosion on the tps circuit? 2-3 months fits with general oxidation...
What's the condition of your chasis ground,battery ground etc
Do you still have any of the previous TPS units? What's the condition of the wires?
Dirty injector impossible, then problem would not be fixed when replacing TPS.

Corrosion... good idea... I'll tell the workshop to check that, if they've missed that I should kill them.

I'll tell them to check the grounds as well, but I think they already checked that.

I don't have any TPS unit, probably they have it at the workshop. But it's just incredible that I have to be doing some research by myself because they are not able to find the issue... THEY are the mechanics with the "right" tools to find those issues...

Thank you very much for the answer!

Any other ideas? The more information the better!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Look at the imobilizer's wiring too...you might find that the act of replacing the TPS is fixing the issue and not the actual source of the problem...moving corroded wires around can often re-establish a working connection

·
Registered
597 Posts
Throttle bodies...not much into them besides the TPS and the fuel pressure regulator; its possible that when they replace the TPS its not holding its place and gradually turns out of location (not broken, just cant hold its whole position on the throttle bodies)...another possible avenue to investigate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at the imobilizer's wiring too...you might find that the act of replacing the TPS is fixing the issue and not the actual source of the problem...moving corroded wires around can often re-establish a working connection

Throttle bodies...not much into them besides the TPS and the fuel pressure regulator; its possible that when they replace the TPS its not holding its place and gradually turns out of location (not broken, just cant hold its whole position on the throttle bodies)...another possible avenue to investigate
Thank you very much for your answers! Definitely the TPS is not the source of the problem and like you said, corrosion or vibrations might be the issue.

I'm moving the motorbike to another workshop and tell them what you told me.

I hope to find the real source of the issue because it really is driving crazy. Almost 2 years already with the problem...

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts