Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first Duc, bought it from my buddy who is a Ducati fanatic. He almost rescinded the deal at the last minute cause the bike is immaculate, but he just didn't ride it that much. He was the 2nd owner. 8500 miles when I got it a month ago. I've put about 300 miles on it so far.

A couple of weeks ago, the dash and headlights started intermittently going out. OK, well-know regulator/rectifier issue. Local dealer had the updated r/r for the 1198 that is supposed to be the newest version, waiting on the adapter harness to come in. There's the background...

Did A LOT of in town riding yesterday, about 100 miles. Weather temp got up to about 85º. Had the dash/lights flicker a few times, but once I got on highway and the coolant temps came down, no issues.

Was on my way home and fuel reserve light came on, so I stopped to get gas. Started it back up and the cel light came on and it was running rough. Thankfully, I was only about 2 miles from home because it died on me twice, mainly as I would engage the clutch rolling up on stoplights. Hit the starter button and it would start back up, but still ran rough. I rode her very gently as I wasn't sure what the issue was.

Got home and cycled through the computer and am getting the error TPS 1.2. Research shows it's most likely a bad throttle sensor. Easy fix looks like.

My question is though, could the bad r/r be causing an erroneous TPS error or is it just coincidence that both of these are going bad at the same time? If it is a bad TPS, it seems that sometimes the throttle body starts to leak onto the sensor, causing it to go bad, what do I look for? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fix first your voltage regulator and go from there. Riding around with a defective voltage regulator won't help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alot of the times the three yellow wires wick oil into the connectors that mate with the voltage regulator and then they burn the connection. I have personally just replaced the stator coil with new and before running I will seal the wire ends on the stator winding side and as well on the connector side. I also use larger connectors on the three phase wire ends on both sides of the stator and regulator. Ricks electrics sells a kit for the larger connectors. Crimp and solder them. You should be good to go. Your regulator is more than likely going bad. You can use a OEM or use Ricks again. Your choice. Ricks seems to last longer. It is a different style regulator than the OEM.

Your TPS is not a big deal. If it actually is bad. Just connect to the diag plug with a service tool. JPDiag or whatever you choose then look at the throttle reading. You can replace the sensor without having to buy a complete throttle body. You can find the OEM Magnetti Marelli on ebay. The sensor was I think originally used on a Fiat or something. You can also look up Gotham Cycle the carry them a well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts