Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday my bike came up with an engine light on my way home from work.

Perhaps foolishly I didn't stop and try and access the error code. Instead I stopped and switched the bike off and on again (removing the key) - waiting about 30 seconds (I was in the middle of a busy city centre at the time)

This got rid of the engine light but when I set off I noticed that I was missing about half of my horsepower (sounded ok running though - still firing on both cylinders) and I was unable to change power modes. (Maximum speed was reduced to about 80mph and I couldn't wheelie off the power as normal strangely)

Anyway got home left it overnight and tried again. The problem has disappeared! I have all riding modes and full power. Bike's hasn't been wet or damp in the last 3 weeks or so. I'm assuming the software got confused as it initially happened when I twisted hard on the throttle.

The bike's due for a belt service next month at the local Ducati dealer - I'm sure I won't be able to recreate the issue but I don't think it will happen again anyway...

Strange one - the only other time it's done something similar was about 4 years ago when it went into a limp home mode and wouldn't let me rev the engine but would show all the redline red lights on the dash at the low rpm threshold - again that disappeared and never came back - I assume software related again.

My bike's always been to a main dealer and they always put in the latest software update whenever it's serviced.

Just wanted to share - still love the monster and it's character!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Change it out! Dropping off on power is terrifying... especially when you jump into the fast lane or hard on the gas in a corner...it's absolutely not worth waiting for it to fail...when it happens again and it will...with increasing frequency...not changing rider modes...close gas...ENG ERR all point to the throttle unit...it take a few tries and a handful of minutes to swap it [email protected],000 miles... haven't had an issue since I swapped in the replacement

·
Court Jester
12,066 Posts
Sounds like a lose connections if the light went off.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buhgaboo, sounds like a really easy fix so you're right - not worth the inconvenience - Can you confirm that this is part number 66020051H about £190 which is probably around $190.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Buhgaboo, sounds like a really easy fix so you're right - not worth the inconvenience - Can you confirm that this is part number 66020051H about £190 which is probably around $190.
Yes that is the correct part number...your also going to need a security torx bit t-25 to remove/install the new one....and it's infinitely easier to install by sliding the two halves onto the bar rather than placing one half on and trying to wrestle the throttle spring into position then placing the other

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for confiming.

I've had to remove it before when I changed the bars over. The only annoying part is removing the headlight - I suppose I will have the opportunity to tidy up my LED indicator (blinker) wires...

Neil

Reactions: Buhgaboo

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want to pay the shipping from Canada I have one you can have

Thank you for confiming.

I've had to remove it before when I changed the bars over. The only annoying part is removing the headlight - I suppose I will have the opportunity to tidy up my LED indicator (blinker) wires...

Neil

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike was getting more unreliable with it going into limp mode and restricting me to low revs only so I finally got around to installing the new Throttle assembly. Thanks for the help Buhgaboo (y)

I did mention my issues to the dealership when it had it's belt service last year but as I couldn't replicate it on demand and it didn't produce any error messages all they could say was bring it in when it's in limp mode. A little inconvenient so it was easier for me to just swap the throttle and see how I get on.

Nice that it comes with fresh grips too!

I've had a quick test ride and it seems to have sorted the problem which is a relief - just in time for the nice weather here.

I can put a cover on my trustee 2014 Honda VFR800F Interceptor now!

Looking forward to my second track day of the year on the monster - got a friend going with me who's hiring a track ready 2020 Kawasaki ZX636R so we should be pretty even. 🏍

Neil

Reactions: Buhgaboo

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple more rides since the swap and no issues to report :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts