Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some info to pass along that might be of some use to folks .... I had my stock ECU reflashed and from everything I had read I drove 2 hours to my local Duck dealer to have the all mighty TPS reset like almost everyone says you MUST do when changing your ECU. The TPS did NOT need to be reset and the Ducati master mechanic pointed out that this "must do" reset is 99% hype and is NOT required. Mine was off by .1, which is totally in the accepted range for the sensor .... thats a number that no one would be able to notice. He stated that the bike will automatically reset itself once it detects the ECU has been unplugged and reinstalled. The bike handled and performed just fine on the way there and nothing was any different on the way back. If you live close to a dealer and dont mind giving them $50 then go for it but for those thinking about replacing their ECU or reflashing, a TPS reset is absolutely NOT required afterwards. This was from the mouth of a Ducati master technician whos worked on them for over 30 years. That info would have saved me half a days drive and $50 so hope it can be of use to others worried about messing with their ECU.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Some have changed ECU's and had the bike almost unrideable because the TPS went out. It doesn't reset itself. Others have had no issue when changing ECU's. Seems to be hit and miss. I stopped trusting "Master Mechanics" when one told me I was off my rocker about Ducati sending out a recall for the voltage regulators. Had the piece of paper in hand and he still didn't believe me.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm quite sure the verdict on this forum and everywhere else is reset the TPS if your bike runs rough.

I'm not sure where you heard that it MUST be done and your conclusion that it MUST NOT be done is also incorrect.

A Ducati Master tech also suggested I use Bel-Ray 7Wt oil for my Ohlins forks because their shop doesn't have Ohlins fluid. Fortunately I did my own research and realized that the Bel-Ray oil is 3x the viscosity of the Ohlins oil @ the same "Wt."

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
it certainly can't hurt to reset it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts