Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a track bike - have an 1199, but really don't want to crash it on the track. I have limited experience on the track - have completed levels 1-4 with California Superbike School, but all my track time has been on a few S1000rr - monkey could ride that bike.

Not new to riding, just new to track specific riding. Like I said have an 1199, Diavel, Indian Roadmaster, Harley Ultra Classic, had a CBR1000RR (no ABS or traction control) and teach MSF courses.

Was considering an 848 or 1098 as a track only bike. Will the lack of ABS and traction control be something that I should worry about? I know there will be the traditionalist out there that say forget that crap, but looking for sound advice.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well as a traditionalist at heart, traction control is pretty awesome. ABS won't be missed at the track though, unless you like doing wet trackdays. If you're an experienced rider or not, lack of traction control is not a big deal for the track day junkie. If and when you go racing, a good TC thats dialed in will get you off the corner a bit quicker than a racer that is nervous about sliding around. If i had a panigale it would live at the track. Id just stick some race bodywork on thing and enjoy... Well id also do my best to not bin it

·
Registered
200 Posts
i do track days all the time and i'm on a 1098s. At this last track day (sunday) at sears point raceway in Sonoma, CA i was getting frusterated hearing people pass me on the outside of one of the long left turns "the carousel" just wacking the throttle open and having traction control and slide control sort everything out. With 160bhp the 1098s is fully capable of lighting up the rear tire if you're ham fisted...... and damned frusterated w/o a slipper clutch....i'm just complaining though

·
Registered
555 Posts
i do track days all the time and i'm on a 1098s. At this last track day (sunday) at sears point raceway in Sonoma, CA i was getting frusterated hearing people pass me on the outside of one of the long left turns "the carousel" just wacking the throttle open and having traction control and slide control sort everything out. With 160bhp the 1098s is fully capable of lighting up the rear tire if you're ham fisted...... and damned frusterated w/o a slipper clutch....i'm just complaining though
Im a huge fan of the slipper clutch. That device was made for the big twins. However, im not really a traction control guy. I will qualify this by saying that the only TC that ive tried is what comes as OE on the 1198 and S1000, not "real" TC. And, obviously, sence every serious racer is using it in every calss that it's legal, its hugely beneficial.

I do time laps, but at my age, im all about the fun. Of course it is fun to be quick, and competitive in races, but i also love to just let the bike slide and spin and wheelie. A well set up slipper, and just a bit to low fork oil level can really help get the rear tire loose going into turns too. Its too bad that none of this clowning around helps my lap times. Sometimes though, imo, going quick is like secondary to having fun...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.