Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I agree and disagree with random. You can find some great deals on older superbikes but you might have to put some work into them to make them perfect. An r1 will be a lot cheaper and more forgiving in the event of a spill. If hes serious about getting a ducati then he needs to up the budget whether it be for a bike alone or a bike with maintenance.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you guys are Misunderstanding this question. We are talking track bike only...that means not street worthy. There was recently 2 848's on wera classified for $6500. Surely there are older models that can be had for the price range mentioned. Jap bikes need not apply, he already has one and is looking to enter the world of DUCATI.

·
Registered
262 Posts
999's are getting pretty affordable nowadays. Check out the one for sale over on ducati.ms right now for $6k -- S model, so Ohlins, plus BSTs, good rotors, carbon fiber tank.

Reactions: 182 Racing

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Honestly it really depends on what they want to do with it. If it's just for fun and maybe a few track day events per year, then absolutely go for an already track built 848. They're all over the forums, easy to find one for around that budget. The 848 however, isn't a great club racing bike because it requires A LOT of modifications to make it competitive.

I'd absolutely go for the 848 over the older machines, they're a better deal in the long run. The bigger bore machines usually fetch too much money.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You guys missed that he specified superbike, not supersport. That eliminates the 848s and 749s which are more likely to be in his budget. At least that's how I read it.

OP, I agree with everyone here if you can convince him to give up on the Superbike dream. He'll have an easier time finding a used middleweight bike in 848s and 749s.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You guys missed that he specified superbike, not supersport. That eliminates the 848s and 749s which are more likely to be in his budget. At least that's how I read it.

OP, I agree with everyone here if you can convince him to give up on the Superbike dream. He'll have an easier time finding a used middleweight bike in 848s and 749s.

848 is a superbike, just sayin

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
749, 848 aren't superbike family lines???

According to Ducati, they are. Ducati doesn't sell "supersport" machines anymore. But if you're talking competitive classes, they are not. FIM regulations cap supersport at 750cc 2 cylinder bikes and superbike begins at 850cc for 2 cylinders. So for competition the 848 is in no-man's land and the 749 is a supersport.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
For that low of a budget a 749 is about the best he can do...maybe a 999, or an 848 if they're not such a great shape. Personally, I'd recommend to not go with a Ducati if that's all the budget he has...you can find plenty of 600s in that price range that are track ready and good to go, all he'll need is tires. That's what I would do anyway, if I was in his shoes.

Reactions: randomtask

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have <$4k into my 2003 749, I bought it as a trainer bike after coming off a 140whp GSXR750 as a trackbike. I like it a lot, though it can get frustrating if you're being held up in the corners by someone on a much faster (liter) bike, because unlike a 600, they will still pull you starting midway down the straight even when you get on the throttle earlier and carry more corner speed. It's a very easy bike to ride that is confidence inspiring.

Parts are fairly cheap, the setup knowledge is there, and if/when you grenade the motor you can put a 999 motor in very cheaply or go with an aircooled/848/1098/etc motor.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
910 Posts
^^^^^^^
I found a way around the liter bikes holding me up in the corners years ago. I would just run it in late on the brakes and leave them behind .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.