Ducati.org forum banner

Track day #2 ended with a...

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tye1138 
#1 ·
Crash :ahhh:

I had a great morning session. But after lunch, I did 1 full lap, then hit the straightaway, approached turn 1, hit the entrance cone, leaned the bike over aiming for the apex, and...no grip. I lowsided the bike, it slowed down in the runoff area, I caught up with it, smacked into the bike, flipped over it, and tumbled several times. :shitfan:

I have a bruised sternum/ribs, sprained left wrist and fingers, sprained left ankle, bruising on my right shoulder, and dime-sized road rash in various places. I sustained no head injuries, but the helmet is trashed. As for the bike, it's all cosmetic :)

Time to shop for some deals! :yo:

#6 ·
Dang that sucks. Sounds like cold tires or too much lean angle. Its good to analyze what happened and take notes for the future. If there was a trackside photographer, get some pix if they have any of the corner you crashed at, see what's going on with your riding which could lead to crashing.

#7 ·
Yeah, that's what I usually do after I wreck my bike,... take notes, kinda start out with.... fuck!!, Did they cut my leathers off?? Who packed up my stuff?? Now I got to fix my bike!!! ..... My wifes gonna be pissed,... again!!!....... Where am I gonna get the money? Oh yeah, lets see, I need to take some notes of the wreck........... Oh, first I need to make a list of the parts I am gonna need........ :)

#9 ·
Now that I've had time to process that day...

I think first and foremost, my mind wasn't right. What I mean is that I felt like it was going to be my last session for the day, just for the sake of getting it in. I wasn't too enthused and therefore my focus wasn't 100 percent. :(

Next, my full lap before the crash in turn 1, was terrible. I wan't feeling it at all. I started picking up the pace towards the end of the lap, heading into the straightaway. As a hit the straight, slowed down, and approached turn 1, I admit that I came in hot, but I committed fully to the turn. I think I leaned the bike too much and my body wasn't out far enough from the bike. Or maybe I was trail-braking too deep into the turn and my rear tire couldn't get traction...???

I am running the stock tires with 29 psi front and 30 in the rear.

#12 ·
One of the first things my friends (who are all coaching) taught me when I started was to realize when to call it a session or day. I have skipped sessions here and there when I felt I wasn't really in the game.

The $200 for a lost day are almost always cheaper than bike or body parts...

#10 ·
I know exactly what you mean about not being 10000% there mentally.

When that happens I try to keep myself honest and shed speed and focus in other things that minimize the possibilities of having a crash.
Following lines better, or breaking areas, feeling the suspension, not entering the apex as hot and working in being smoother overall.

Once your mind catches up with what your body wants to do... then start adding speed gradually.

I think cold tire's pressure should be around 26 PSI front and 24 PSI rear. I've had great results with that combination so far with Michelins

I am so sorry to hear you crashed brother... I hope you heal soon and well.

#13 ·
I mean, it just takes a while to learn how to ride on the track. Eventually if you work hard, it will become second nature and things like this simply won't happen. Crashes will come from pushing limits, not because of being tired or unable to concentrate. In reality, there really isn't much concentration needed to circle the track at a decent pace, once you've dialed in the skills. This is why its so important to get data, analyze and for sure get educated.

In terms of the "last session", meh… just don't over think it. I kinda dig the "tired" sessions because it allows you to ride through pain, tiredness and perhaps a bit of a vague feeling. Riding in these non-perfect situations are what makes you a better rider, you learn physical limits more and push yourself. So don't get down on yourself for riding in the last session, shit can happen in any session and just be happy it happened at the end of the day instead on the first session like so many people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.