Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have tried posting a few times but I never see my post??
Hope this one works.

Anyways, I am a owner of a used 1098, I took it out to Chuckwalla in southern California. This bike was amazing, but when I got home, I took it off my trailer and started it up to move it in the garage. It started up but I smelled some burning oil? I sniffed the exhaust and it was not coming from there, I do not see oil drips on the floor or trailer. Could it be some drips out of a breather hose? This was my 1st time riding it aggressive so I am not sure what to think?

Has anyone experienced that?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll look into it this weekend I hope. Here is a pic of my day, this literally was my 1st time back at a track and on a sport bike in 19 years.

I spent the entire day knocking the rust off, but had a blast. I plan on doing another track day next month. I would also like to get a set of wheels for slicks but that might be a bit for me.

I also have video with a really rough edit, but the speed is nothing to brag about lol. I see so many of my mistakes but I kept it on 2 wheels and could not wipe the smile off my face. This video progresses throuout the day. The 1st few minutes was my 1st lap on the track I have never been to on a bike I was new too. The last 6-8 minutes were towards the end of the day so my speed came up a bit but still a mild pace.

Video

Chuckwalla Ride Day:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was 16 years since my last track day. How many times did you drag your toes? I had to replace my toe sliders after two track days. For whatever reason, I have issues riding on the balls of my feet. I'm guessing it is a balance issue for me. Have fun!!
Once! Lol I figured out the position after that real quick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When were you there? I was there 11/28 and 11/29. It was like 30F at night out there and a high of 62F, so the track was insanely cold. I couldn't keep my slicks at near operating temperature until about the third session, so I kept it real cool. So you probably helped yourself by staying on DOT street tires (especially 1st time riding in so long). But, once you get comfortable and really can put down strong laps to keep those race tires hot, having a race DOT or race slick is enjoyable, when it's hot.

Have you ever ridden a bike with a slipper clutch? If not, then you don't know any better, but once you do, you'll want one, especially on the track with how late you brake and slam down the gears say from 4th to 2nd. Once I added one to my 1098S, I reflect back and wish I would have done it sooner.
Thanks for the tips. I was out there 12/7 it was 76 for the high. It seemed perfect. I would really like to add a slipper clutch for sure. I definitely know the benefits of having one.

My speed is not up yet to run slicks. A few more trips maybe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Charles, thanks for the info, I will check it out for sure. As far as the brakes go, I love the sound too, but I have no idea what kind they are. I bought this bike 30 days ago. Like I said it's been a very long time not only on a track but on a sportbike. Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.