Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
I just fixed my rough running problem (see latest post), and on the inaugural ride after everything was buttoned up, after a hard acceleration from a light the bike locked in 2nd gear and would not move in either direction after that. Limped it home (fortunately it will still wind up to most city speeds in that gear). It has done this once before, much further from home and during the ride back to the house, winding along in 2nd, I was at a stop light and tried the shifter and it was fine and the rest of the way home and for the last year it has been fine. At this point it is still stuck in 2nd, so I'm looking for any pointers on how I can free the thing and prevent this from happening again. I've been trolling around and it sounds like some fresh oil, synthetic, has helped other hard shifting bikes, this one has a pretty solid engagement, along with a pain in the ass neutral, so that certainly sounds like it should help - if I can get the damn thing loose!

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, after searching the archives here and other places, nothing really specific to my problem, so I went out to the garage and disconnected the linkage and clamped on my vise grips on the shift lever - with the additional leverage, I was able to pop the bike out of second and row the gears, although it was stiff. The one discussion about 916 gear shift issues mentioned the benefits of 20-50 synthetic (no brand mentioned) so I went out to the local Auto Zone and found some Mobil 1 full synthetic 20-50W made specifically for big twins (I assume they were pointing at the Harley crowd). Any way, changed the oil, it needed it, I hadn't changed the oil since I bought the bike and put almost 3k on it - Stoopid! MUCH better, I can regularly get into neutral on the first attempt, shifts are cleaner, hopefully the lock up is over. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know when I had my monster mine got stuck in 1st gear, with the gear selector stuck in the down position. The selector spring broke, allowing the selector to get lodged on the stop. It sounds like you're all fixed up, but replacing the spring may be cheap insurance if the gear selector itself is sticking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I don't think the oil was that bad, I assume that the PO changed it at least once n his years of ownership and less than 2000 miles he put on it (he said he had...), but I think that the combination of the mechanical stiffness and the less than perfect oil - well, I agree that there is likely some mechanical issue (I've read about the selector spring being problematic, with third party vendors providing improved ones), but at this point, tearing that apart is a less than enthralling thought. The oil has made a noticeable improvement though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.