Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I need to crank for 1min b4 engine can start on my 1198. And I found tht by pulling in the clutch helps to start it in second.anyone try b4? Haha

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pulling in the clutch will make little difference in starting your bike, other than reducing some friction.

The 1198 needs a large amount of cranking power to start. If you're turning over your starter for 1 minute, you're likely to be causing damage to stater motor and your sprag clutch. Both will cost you down time and money when they go pop!!

How old is your battery, is it fully charged? If it's old or isn't holding a charge, I'd strongly suggest you change it. Try a Lithium type, plenty out there. I have the Anti-Gravity in my bikes and they work great. Just get proper chargers for them..

·
Registered
149 Posts
I upgraded my battery cables. Made a huge difference. Also if you have an open clutch and it gets wet you will have more issues so keep it dry. The plates can stick when they get damp and swell.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Try motoelectric kits for the cables. Not cheap but I promise it's worth it. Bike also starts no problem when it's hot. It used to not want to start every time because of the heat draw on the smaller cables. More than once I had to wait for the bike to cool down at a gas station before starting again because of that during a 90 +degree day

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Recently I need to crank for 1min b4 engine can start on my 1198. And I found tht by pulling in the clutch helps to start it in second.anyone try b4? Haha
First thing is first, what's the condition of your battery? Do you have a method of checking it's voltage output with a multimeter? At rest, the battery should be around 12.5v and when starting, it shouldn't go much below 11v. When running, the battery should be around 14v. If those numbers aren't what you're getting, then more diagnosis is necessary.

Also, you should always try to start the bike in neutral, starting in 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in, could potentially give you more drag in the long run.

You could also have a damaged starter sprague, it's a very common failure point and perhaps by moving the clutch in and out, it puts enough force on the assembly to enable it to finally start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeap guys battery is new. Voltage when bike has not started is ard 12v and 14v once started. Will consider running on lithium battery on the next run!

·
Registered
228 Posts
If your battery is new, and the voltages sound good then the next thing I'd check is it's current draw. If you can crank the starter for a minute, I'd think the power of the battery is fine to be honest.

You may well have a fueling issue, or very very fouled plugs. Have you run an injector cleaner through with a tank of fuel? I use Redline Si-1 in my bikes and cars, truly amazing stuff..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts