Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a few demos for sale which one of these makes sense

A) team version with gp exhaust system for 77usd with 4 miles on the bike

B) team version 600 miles no stand no nothing just the bike with the race exhaust 50usd

C) team version 3000miles with gp exhaust and owner wants 62usd

D) rosso version with 1800 miles for 48usd

And I am from Canada rate is killing me and none for sale in Canada smitty lol got the last one a week or so before I found out about it

Pls let me know what u think each bike is worth

·
Registered
378 Posts
What are you going to do with it....??

GP Exhaust is a good addition.......

Bike A sounds best spec if you can push to it......slightly over priced...???!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had similar options when I bought mine two years ago (search on here and you'll see my posts at the time).

What numbers are they?
How much do you plan to ride it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rmc777

Just around town rides hwys so on and maybe track it one day

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave

There all under 400 and when I first get it I'll be riding it I guess over time not as much
Mi diavel has 1500km bought last year

1098s has 5700kms
1198s has about 2300kms

·
Registered
650 Posts
I wouldn't pay a dollar over 40K, and if possible wait a little bit longer, they'll probably stabilize around the mid-30's in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wouldn't pay a dollar over 40K, and if possible wait a little bit longer, they'll probably stabilize around the mid-30's in the next couple of years.
Bite your tongue! :D

I'd go for the newest, best condition, lowest mileage bike and try to get the price down as far as possible. Use other examples as comps. The 4 mile one is priced pretty dearly, considering it's more than when new. I also liked receiving all the extras with my bike - I felt like I was getting a complete package.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dagor6 I dought thatbmaybe the high mileage once

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
77usd is 97650 Canadian today lol I gotta wait it out I think unless another one comes up forsale in Canada

·
Registered
449 Posts
The 4 mile one is priced pretty dearly, considering it's more than when new.
So, buy a new one.

In case someone has not noticed, MANY (but not all) used vehicles sell for considerably more than they did back when they were available new. Part of the reason is that they are no longer available for purchase, new. Another part is that there are more interested buyers for those vehicles than there are interested sellers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is a tough one if all of the bike numbers are over 200 so they have the more robust street pistons.

Normally I would go for the Team/GP exhaust with 3000 miles. But as we have found out on this forum- if the bike was lugged around town for 3000 mile then it could easily have carbon deposits - and at worse burnt exhaust valves. If the owner can tell you he took it to the track from time to time and kept the revs up on the street- then it may be worth the risk as long as it had all of the updates and comes with all the original parts and paperwork, then miles mean little.

The Team with the GP exhaust and tail is a tasty bit.

Of the remaining three - if you do not have $72K and are not pining for a TEAM version- the Rosso seems to be the best choice

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
if the bike was lugged around town for 3000 mile then it could easily have carbon deposits - and at worse burnt exhaust valves.
Apologies I've missed all the chat on this topic. I've retired my bike from the track now and will just be using it on the street for easy run out's and the odd blast...

Going by this statement the bike suffers from easy / town usage - is that correct?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Apologies I've missed all the chat on this topic. I've retired my bike from the track now and will just be using it on the street for easy run out's and the odd blast...

Going by this statement the bike suffers from easy / town usage - is that correct?
Slickhillsy-

I am not trying to be an alarmist-

Of the D16s that have actually been ridden for a few years --there have been a few I know about which have had enough harmful carbon buildup due to street riding to warn owner's that this may happen.

From what I have seen-- even ones with aftermarket ECU's or PC's have experienced this- which due to better low end mapping I would have though eliminated the issue over the stock ECU mapping.

I only know a few dealer's in the US who still service these bikes and have shared this issue with me. Even a few bikes which have track and high street miles have come up with burn exhaust valves. In these cases it may speak more to the quality of the coating of the TI valves then carbon buildup.

I would say John H would give you the straight scoop on this issue since he has probably serviced more D16 that are actually used on the road and on the track then any other dealer in the UK.

I cannot say for certain that by using BBG-44 or Techron along with running above 6K, which is what I do, prevents carbon buildup. Will not know until I pull the heads to set the valves.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My bike won't suffer from Carbon Build up....!! :D:D:D

I agree with Malcontent......buy the lowest milage cleanest bike you can get your hands on.

Try and find out as much history as possible as these bikes get modified used and then put back to stock.....

The values over here in the UK.....if I'm not mistaken are creeping up.....good clean low milage examples.....which can only head in one direction.....demand for these bikes over time will only increase.......

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup I am sorting this out

·
Registered
650 Posts
Here's the problem with the bike you have to keep in mind, it usually needs engine work. A 4 mile bike has that had the springs replaced? If not you'll need to have that in front of a dealer getting the frame split and engine opened up as a first-order activity.

The reason they come down in value is that they are out of warranty and Ducati's not making cheap parts available. If you want to ride that thing, what's your appetite for risk with regards to the engine?

To me, if I'm buying one used, of any age, I'm paying 30-40K because I'm accepting the solid risk that I might need to come up with 20-25K for a new engine down the road. Unless I'm missing something and engines have suddenly become available or less expensive, in which case let me know.

And paying 35-40K, I know that I'm in a position to drop that engine on day one and service it, starting with valve and piston coatings. And then I'm putting 10K away for that Marelli plug-and-play system so I can know I have it mapped right, running right, and a display showing me key values that'll make me comfortable that if anything starts to go wrong and there's a chance the ECU can notify me before it blows up, no matter how small the chance, I'm going to invest in that capability.

If you come in at 50-60K, well maybe it's "worth it", but you can't tell me you're not going to be a little tighter with the "freshen-her-up" budget, if you know what I mean. And if that thing blows an engine or seizes or does any other number of horrible things that DOES happen to these bikes, then you'll probably feel angry beyond belief and you'll be deep enough into the bike financially that you'll just suck it up and fix it.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Dagor

This is what's happening right now Its either gonna be the new desmo in the crate with the new gp system never mounted for 77usd because the guy won't sell the gp without the bike I offered 11gs usd he said no lol

Or the team version with 600 miles for 50k comes with nothing just th bike

I am gonna ride this bike not store it and The only reason why I am really thinking about this it's because of the exchange rate which kills me for me to buy 1 usd cost me 1.27 cad today

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey buddy,

I did get the first look at #964 today and I would have to say it is a perfect example. So far it is everything Monette said it was. Ducati Austin is going to install a fresh battery and change the fluids before I bring her home next week.

I actually got it registered and titled in Texas! Woohoo!

My advice is to be patient and wait for exactly what you want unless you just have to get one now. I looked for 2 years until I found this one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are going to ride it avoid the 4 mile bike, it's value relates to the low mileage in the eyes of the seller. No point if you are going to put miles on it.

It will also need work to make it "safe" to ride after sitting so long with no use. Believe me the low miles bikes need specific maintenance during storage and before being ready to go back on the road.

Get the cheapest one you can, seriously don't fall for the lower the mileage the better condition game, you will promise yourself you will keep the miles low but you won't, buyers market for sure and you can haggle hard.

Regards

ScottyB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.