Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making a long story short - had my 2008 1098 stolen from the back of my truck during a move. Fast forward two years and I get a call from the police department where I filed the stolen vehicle case saying that they found the bike (was stolen in VA, found in MD). After a bunch of ass-pain and $ paid she's finally back in FL with me.

My best guess is the person who wrecked it did a huge wheelie, came back an hit the exhaust can (broke one of the termi cans in half) then landed hard on the front wheel (bent/broke the the wheel) and then laid it down on the side where a couple pressure plate springs broke off. I'd like to get some parts from gotham and get it back on the road (it runs just fine), but I happened to notice this little frame tweak the other day and wasn't sure how bad things might be. I saw a video on here not that long ago w/ another duc and a frame tweak in this same spot. (not even sure the forks are still straight)

Any input/suggestions from people who've experienced or seen similar situations would be greatly appreciated! Check out a pic of the spot in question:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It's actually pretty common for the frames to come "undone" from their welds. I bet if you got a closer look, you'd notice its not a crack, bit simply a weld thats let loose. Yes it needs to be fixed especially since its part of the steering stem assembly. Do some research and see if you can find a frame straightening place in your area with a GMD computrack, which is a laser based frame alignment tool. The frame re-straightening company will take that steering head section off, remove the old welds, put it back in place using the frame alignment tool and weld it for ya. They can also check the rest of the frame for damage.

It may be expensive however, may be cheaper to buy a used frame on ebay. But… if you do have your frame checked and cleaned up, then you won't have to deal with it ever again.

Sorry to hear about your problems, I hope you're not into this thing for too much money.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the info. I'm not in it for too much $ at the moment....just trying to weigh out the options and see if it's actually worth trying to fix up. It just sucks that there is so much wrong, yet it still runs just fine :( Any ballpark guess on how much it would be to fix the frame? Guessing they can just remove the steering-related parts and leave the engine still mounted?

Maybe it is time to throw in the towel and mount the motor to a golf cart or something stupid.....

·
Registered
116 Posts
A couple of issues i see is the fact that aluminum is not easy to weld in the first place, so finding somebody good enough at it locally might be a challenge and require shipping etc. When all is said and done you'd prob be better off sourcing a used frame as Tuned mentioned and swapping it over yourself. I wouldn't go ebay, talk to Bill at Rubbersideup or Gotham and Imperial. All good guys that stand behind what they sell.

The other consideration is the engine. Since you don't know how long it ran on its side you could be in for trouble down the road. The rod bearings in that thing aren't the best and if it ran on its side for any period of time they're just waiting to spin. Sounds like it was on the right side though which is def better than the left but still. Lots of more knowledgeable guys on this subject on these boards so i'll leave that discussion for them to elaborate on.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Fourteen thousand dollars!!!! Umm… yea… thats more then my M3 or championship winning 749R cost me! EEEKKKKKK!!!!

I guess some people have money to blow and NCR is relying on them. ;)

Funny thing is, someone on .ms bought one of those frames and wound up spending $50k modding his 1198R Corse to make it the lightest superbike on the market. He was only able to get down to 325lb dry, which is amazing, but for $50k + initial bike purchase?!!?! Yea, not so amazing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeaaa....might need to avoid that $15k frame lol

It just seems like this project keeps getting deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. Wonder how much I could get if I just started to part it out? (not many parts that aren't tweaked in some way)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Might just have to go that route. What would you guess the weld repair to cost? I think I can get the *used* parts to make her run for ~2k (not including all new fairings).

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You can get a clean titled frame for $1k USD any day of the week. Your frame would cost about the same to repair because they'd have to sand blast that area, remove the old weld AND make sure its straight because you can't assume that with such a hard impact. So maybe its better to simply buy another frame, but its a risk because most used frames have been crashed. Honestly, every bike I've owned has been crashed as well, but no frame damage. So they are pretty strong.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would have GMD check it out. We use GMD in Atlanta and Ken is really awesome to work with. I don't think the initial measurement is super expensive but it will give you an idea of how bad it really is what your options are for fixing it (if you even should).

Mary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts