Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my bike this Saturday and they were busy doing a suspension seminar at the same time. As it turned out, some last minute adjustments had to be made to my rearsets to prevent rubbing against the fairing and the mechanic was truly humble about this mishap. When they called me back I thought it was going to end up costing me money for something else, but instead it was just to show me what the tech noticed before it left the shop.

Getting this kind of attention during a busy time at the shop gave me the confidence in the mechanic that hits the spot in my heart. You can really feel it when your shop is completely out to make sure that you are happy.

To top it off, he actually tried to refuse a well deserved tip!

Investing so much and forgetting the mechanic is just wrong. I was so happy to share my joy with him and hand him the 20 dollar bill, well deserved, that it made my experience all the better! Hell, we tip a waitress an actual percentage of the bill, right? Then in that case, I really should have given him 200 bucks!!!

(I had a shitload done, including body repair which brought my price to 1900)

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
641 Posts
Investing so much and forgetting the mechanic is just wrong. I was so happy to share my joy with him and hand him the 20 dollar bill, well deserved, that it made my experience all the better! Hell, we tip a waitress an actual percentage of the bill, right? Then in that case, I really should have given him 200 bucks!!!

Which is why I show up at my shop just before Christmas EVERY YEAR with 48 of their favorite beer.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Classic Wilks....always trying to 1-up everyone! ;)

Reactions: WERA689 and W17

·
Registered
120 Posts
you're right oleary. there is a great shop for power equipment near me and on occasion they give me a part albeit a small one free. a box of fresh doughnuts and a box of coffee made them happy and insures good relations down the road.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My real point was that we tip servers a percentage right off the top without blinking an eye. The server has no overhead (other than their uniform) and yet gets at least 15 percent right off the top! If you run a 300 dollar tab at a party you are looking at a 50 dollar tip!

Invest 1900 in Ducati service, and the tech does all the work......do the math.....20 bucks is peanuts in comparision!! Plus, the tech is responsible for your happiness!!!

I don't mind supporting the dealership, but the guy doing all the work deserves recognition, in my opinion

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
My real point was that we tip servers a percentage right off the top without blinking an eye. The server has no overhead (other than their uniform) and yet gets at least 15 percent right off the top! If you run a 300 dollar tab at a party you are looking at a 50 dollar tip!

Invest 1900 in Ducati service, and the tech does all the work......do the math.....20 bucks is peanuts in comparision!! Plus, the tech is responsible for your happiness!!!

I don't mind supporting the dealership, but the guy doing all the work deserves recognition, in my opinion
But the techs can also make somewhere between 20-30 bucks/hour depending on experience and level. A waitress makes around $2.50/hr, hence they rely on tips to survive. Personally, I think the tipping system is a bunch of bullshit and businesses who use it (restaurants) are taking advantages of loopholes to basically have customers pay their employees, because they can get away with not paying them minimum wage. But that's how it is here in the US unfortunately. Not sure about the rest of the world, but in Europe most waiters/waitresses get a decent salary, and there is no need for tips, hence nobody tips usually. And that's because it's simply their JOB. I don't get tips for doing my job either, no matter how well I do...because I'm already being paid to DO MY JOB. But anyway...that can be a whole discussion on its own :popcorn:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
$2.50/hr? Hell minimum wage here is $12.00/hr! Acceptable oilfield wages are $45! Not sure what powersports mechanics are getting, but auto mechanics are over $35.
Minimum wage here is controlled by local governments. A couple of years ago, San Francisco had the highest, at somewhere in the $10-11/hr range. Not sure how much it's changed recently, but here where I live it's $7.25 at the moment. But restaurants can get away with paying their waiters around $2-3/hr because of the tips.

Clearly there's a big difference from where you live, as here, $35/hr would be what an average engineer makes with 10-15 years of experience! But I would guess the cost of living (and luxuries) are also higher there. What's a brand new 899 cost there out the door, including taxes? ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
showing appreciation for a shop or waiter is what a tip is all about. sadly wait staff gets slave wages as we all know. so poor tipping only hurts hard working people. THE LAW about wages for them is the real culprit. does anyone think any congressmen, state law makers will work to improve this? prob not

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't get past the basic fact that for each and every dollar that is generated by the business, a whopping 15-20 % comes right off the top, to the servers! The only income restaurants get is from money spent on the checks, period. The server gets the first 20% of the entire deposit for the day!

How about just eliminating my payroll then and let my patients tip the staff a percentage of the bill? Damn right the restaurant owners are exploiting their staff.....no pay, just try and get it from the customer who wants the product!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.