• Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa

Votes: 11 50.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

It's time to renew my 848 tires and I have some doubts about the most suitable ones. I use my motorbike on weekends through twisted roads and in track days 2-3 times per year. I always look for sunny days to ride so a good behavior on wet conditions its not mandatory (but is a nice to have :) )

My weight is 80kg (plus equipment) and my riding style trends to be aggressive (I have only 2500 kms and I don't know yet all the motorbike reactions).

My candidates are:
  • Pirelli Rosso Corsa
  • Michelin Power Cup
  • Michelin Pilot Power 3
  • Dunlop SportSmart²
  • Battlax 016 Pro or S20 Evo?
:blah:

Any other options to be considered?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Pirelli all day, everyday. I get about 2000 miles out of a set. Excellent grip, only slight drawback is they take at least 10 miles before they are warmed up and give full grip...

·
Registered
150 Posts
For street riding I'd consider Dunlop q3's. Best bang for the buck if you need a good street tire with a lot of grip. I personally don't like Pirelli's.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The Pirelli's only problem is center wear, if you're gonna go straight a lot, I may centre to a different tire. Outside of that, the OE Pirelli Supercorse SE or Rosso Corsa's are an excellent tires. Unlike the Dunlop and Bridgestone offerings, the Pirelli's heat up quicker and stay hot for longer. They're also a super light tire, dunlop resorting to a very exotic design to even get close to the Rosso Corsa's in terms of weight. Plus and this is a huge one, Pirelli and Ducati work directly to develop tires which work properly on the bike. Its a no-brainer to buy the tires which were DESIGNED for the particular bike.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I ride also semi aggressive on back roads and canyons don't do any track but, the S20 gives me the feedback and durability that I would expect.
It warms up quick and never had a close call on them on rain.
The rear last me 7500 Mi and the front still kicking more than that.
I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I still have the original supercorsa's on with just about 5000 miles now. Are they rounded off? Yes, but no wear bars yet and plenty left on the sidewalls. They are over 2 years old now and I can feel the rear walking out a bit more than usual accelerating out of corners. They have always given me plenty of feedback and feel, and I always felt especially aware of what the rear was doing at all times. I will be replacing them in the off season with the v2's. I'm no track star, especially on the street, nor a high miler obviously, so if I can continue to get 2yrs/5k miles out of a set of supercorsa's then they will remain my tire of choice.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
I've run em all on my 848 and keep coming back to the Power series. Everytime someone endorses a Dunlop or a Bridgestone I give em a whirl and end up going back to the Michelin. I actually prefer the 2CT over the new Power 3. If you put a Pirelli beside a Power 3 and a 2CT you will see that the Pirelli and Pilot 3 are almost identical in shape where as the 2CT is a little more angled. Helps a bit with turn in.

All the tires I've tried have had about the same grip and feed back but the Pilot Power and Power 2CT are my fav's.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I use the Rosso Corsas on both my 1098 and R6. They give decent tread life and have more than enough grip for me at the track.
I do about 5-6 track days a year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I'm between the S20 EVO and the Rosso Corsa, specially thanks to the comments of tye1138 and RIGS.
I'm totally agree with tye1138, that give me more confidence to get a tyre that has been developed or has some relationship between Ducati and Pirelli. For me one cons is that it's a design of 2010 VS. the S20 EVO.

About the RIGs comment, a quick warn up and durability are critical factors also for me but, I'm not to sure if I'm comparing tyres of the same level or category.

I was hoping that the pricing could help me to take a decision… but all dealers are giving me the same price for both!

uuuffff!! Maybe I'm closer to the Pirelli's

Thanks again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I prefer the Michelins personally. I found the Pirellis gave me a bit too much feedback about every single feather line cracking in the tarmac and it unsettled me.

Fitted Michelins with the next change and I'm much more confident that the bikes not going to slip.

It may only be a personal thing, but in my mind, confidence is everything.

Plus I found the Michelins seem to go a bit further before needing a change... :)

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I prefer the Michelins personally. I found the Pirellis gave me a bit too much feedback about every single feather line cracking in the tarmac and it unsettled me.
The Pirelli's have a soft carcass, the Michelin's have a much harder carcass, more akin to Dunlop rather then Pirelli. As a consequence of the softer carcass, tire pressures on the Pirelli's make a huge difference, few PSI can be night and day difference. You won't get that same differential with a harder carcass tire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Pirelli's have a soft carcass, the Michelin's have a much harder carcass, more akin to Dunlop rather then Pirelli. As a consequence of the softer carcass, tire pressures on the Pirelli's make a huge difference, few PSI can be night and day difference. You won't get that same differential with a harder carcass tire.
exactly. i keep my pirelli's at 41 psi for the street. i personally like the feedback, i feel like with a harder carcass you might not get the feedback, but that bump is still there and will upset traction more, then with a tire that is softer and will absorb more of the bump even in lean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts