Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tyres do you use on your ST? I've just fitted a pair of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's to my ST4s and they have transformed the handling. It remains to be seen what the longevity is like but I would be prepared to sacrifice some wear life for the extra handling that these tyres provide. Anyone got a type or brand of tyre that they particularly like or dislike?? :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Currently have Continental Road Attacks on the ST4s. Bought these after they came highly recommended at the ST Yahoo eGroup. After a year, completely pleased. Never a lost moment of confidence with aggressive riding. Plus, they are wearing very well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same here, Conti Road Attacks. I couldn't get more than 2,000 miles out of the Michelin's. Presently I have 2,000 miles on this set of Conti's and they have plenty left.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd take a real close look at the Avon Storm-ST which is a replacement for the much loved Avon Azaro- ST. I've run through 5 sets & liked them all. This is the tire of choice by most members of the ST Yahoo eGroup. For a change of pace, I'm currently running the Pirelli Diablo Stradas. Have about 2.5k miles and a couple of track days. They are wearing well with good grip but are not as quick a turning tire as the Avons. I'll likely try the Storms next.

fwiw - Although tires are a matter of personal preference, only one guy, I believe, on the ST Yahoo eGroup loved the Conti's while most others disliked them ... prefering the Avons instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the Bridgestone BT50 or BT54 i found they are working fine for me ,well we live in Namibia ,normaly hot conditions and it hardly ever rains . i travel long distances sometimes 1500km and the BT50 lasts up to 4000km . the bike is abit modefied and pulls well even in 6 gear .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2CT's have covered over 2100 miles without problems and wearing very well but then this happened! http://www.ducati1098.net/forum/showthread.php?p=12259#post12259

I should add, my local tyre supplier changed the front tyre on my ST4s foc, he had to give me a normal Pilot Power and not a 2CT as his tyres in stock were all from the affected batch but I can't complain. I hope Michelin don't loose business by this as the 2CT is a great tyre IMO and they are taking the bull by the horns by getting any suspect tyres off the street.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm running Metzler Z6 f & r at the moment - very happy, good grip wet or dry, with good mileage (kilometerage?) so far - now at 9,000 ks, will replace at about 11,000 ks by the looks. That includes 2 track days as well.

I was thinking of trying the Pirelli Diablos or the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's next.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have has 2 sets of Pilot powers on my st4s. they are great. I ride in the canyons of LA, pretty tight stuff. the tires handle great. I get about 2200 miles to a set

·
Registered
5 Posts
no one has mentioned "dunlop qualifires". Have just put on my second set. They are by far the best tire i have ever used. From a performance stanpoint. I have used Metzler, Michelin Mecadem, Michelin Pilot sport, Dunlop 208, and now 2 sets of Dunlop Qualifires. The metzler was good. Good milage. Both Michelin were horrible. Especialy the Mecadem. I could not even lean the bike over. And never got comfortable with the Pilot sport. But the Dunlop. I am a new rider can realy lean that thing over now. Its great. Mileage,???? maybe 3500 miles..

greg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cant say any thing bad about Pirelli Diablo's, I'm on my second set and havent found the Michelin or Dunlops to be nearly as good in the wet, great cornering ability and quick warm up. Try em you'll love em . I get around 8 thousand miles on a set.
(30+ thousand on my ST4s)

·
Registered
57 Posts
My bike came with Metzler Z-6's. I got 6,000 miles out of the rear and I'm still working on the front. I'm thinking about trying the Road Attacks for my next set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Qualifiers

Hey, this is my first post as I just joined this forum!

Anyway, I swapped out the OEM Bridgestone 020's on my ST3s at the 600 mile service for a set of Qualifiers. I've been running Qualifiers on my ZRX ever since Dunlop introduced them, and 208's before that. Qualifiers are very confidence inspiring and ride great. Wear? I don't know yet, but I'll be happy with anything over 3,000.

That being said, I may try a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just joined the Forum after finding Ducati Spot. Anyway I am on my second set of Michelin Pilot Powers. They were a big improvement over the Pilot Roads that came with the bike. First set lasted about 4200 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
stradas

My '4s came with Pilot Roads. In 19,000 miles I've had Pilot Powers, Conti road attacks and now my 2nd set of Diablo Stradas. The 'roads didn't give me a lot of confidence in the twisties. The Powers were ok but only lasted 3500mis or so. The Contis front was shot after only 1700miles. The 1st set of Stradas lasted 4700mile plus a track day and would have gone more but I got a nail in the back tire. So, for the first time, I put the same kind of tires back on.

I ride mostly around the twisty roads of the SF Bay Area - no commuting. The Stradas have a very nice turn - in feel and they stick like glue and last like iron, perfect for our bikes.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I started out with Michelin Powers,
then ran a Dunlop Qualifier on the front and a
Conti Force on the rear, at 3500 miles their both gone.
Going with a Qualifier on the front and the RoadSmart on the rear now.

I was planning roadsmarts front and rear but a
friend had a new qualifier on the shelf he'd ordered by mistake so for $75 I couldn't pass it up.

I really like the Dunlop tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts that I put on the my '04 ST4S just before a recent 3500 mile trip. They worked really well in the mountain passes (dry). I rode through a fair amount of rain, too, but since I was being a bit cautious, I don't know how they would work if you were aggressive in those conditions. No problems or greasy feeling, though. They also still have plenty of tread.

I've got Conti' Road Attacks on the Monster, but haven't had a chance to ride them in the wet. They are great road (not road race) tires in the dry. It's a bit hard to compare the two directly, since, even though the bikes have identical frames and front suspension, the ST is about 80 lbs heavier than the Monster (and has the tunable Ohlins in the back) and the riding position is somewhat different.

One thing a bit down on the Dunlops is that they required somewhat more balance weight than the Pirellis that come off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, this is my first post as I just joined this forum!

Anyway, I swapped out the OEM Bridgestone 020's on my ST3s at the 600 mile service for a set of Qualifiers. I've been running Qualifiers on my ZRX ever since Dunlop introduced them, and 208's before that. Qualifiers are very confidence inspiring and ride great. Wear? I don't know yet, but I'll be happy with anything over 3,000.

That being said, I may try a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts next.
Update - The Qualifiers worked great, but the rear was gone at the 3,000 mile service, so it only lasted 2,400 miles. Granted, I typically run 32F/34R which will shorten the life. I mounted a set of Roadsmarts (decided to run 36F/36R) and now have about 1,200 miles on them. No complaints yet. I'm taking a 800 mile ride next weekend, so we'll see how they look after that. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had Dunlop Roadsmarts on my ST2 for 7400 miles, the front was a slick at that point{ I guess I work it pretty hard] the rear still had about 1000 miles in it. I really liked them.
Now I have the Q2's on it, they are great, no really GREAT. I have a lot of clearance on my bike, and I've got maybe a 1/4" chicken strip on the rear[180/55-17], no rain riding yet. About 1200 miles so far with not much wear showing. I'm 50-80lbs. lighter than most ST's.
If you get the chance, try these tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my St4s. of course with a nail in the rear tire. So now I too am going throught the research.

On my previous bikes ('84 V65 Sabres) I liked the Avons. Good stick for my style of riding, great in the wet, any plenty of milage, ( over 7,000, including one track day)

Now I'm not the "Lay it over in the curves" type, but I'm not the "sit straight up an poke through the corners" guy either.

The local shop recommends Michelin Pilot Road 2's for my new machine. That's what I'm going with.

Rocketman Bill

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good Reason

There is a very strong reason why Ducati has won championships in Motogp and in the other classes including yamaha,honda,suzuki and it's "Bridgestone". I have Pirelli D-Stradas on and thier not to bad but i will go back to my Bridgestones in the spring.To be honest i can care less about tire mileage,its a safety issue w/ my life on two great tires for speeds,cornering,take-off and stopping.They got to handle the summer heat,cold and those freakin pot-holes out on the slab.I also dont ride in the rain but if i get caught which i have then i go into wet road form which is a slower safer pace...opinion only and experience.;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts