Ducati.org forum banner

uh oh,2009 848 and no red key?! help

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  37832 
#1 · (Edited)
so as a 1st time Ducati owner i learned and was told by the local Ducati dealer here in NJ that you need the red key to make a duplicate. So...is there ANY way to get a duplicate of my key without the red one? Thanks in advance

#5 ·
As Spoonz said, after 999 they use a code card instead of a red key to program keys. Without that code card, your 'cheaper' alternative is SOS in Portland, OR as Tchase said.

Another alternative...

You need to get a proper blank - must have a chip installed. I found one on Ebay for $20. Then you need to find a local locksmith that can clone a JMA type key (many brands are JMA). They will then cut and clone a copy from your sample. Cost me $40 to have it cut and cloned.

So $60 later and I had a spare key.

#7 · (Edited)
Ouch!.... Im definitely going for the $60 option. $700 for new keys sounds ridiculous, so Ill be on ebay tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help guys. I will update whether or not the ebay thing worked for me. Thumbs up for saving me $$$$!!!

I was also reading SOS Diagnostics FAQ's and I believe it said from the dash you can get the code with the key in the ignition,pulling the throttle,lights flashing, counting the flashes etc until the entire code is read. Has anyone heard of this?

#8 ·
You will still have to get the ebay key programmed. If you have the card you might be able to dupe yours. As others mentioned call sos that's not going to cost you anything. They will at least tell you your options.

Reactions: Jayflaco610
#16 ·
If you would have read the title of this thread you'd have all the info you need. The OP was asking about his 2009 848... you know, the same bike you have.:jerkoff:

Reactions: 34566
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.