Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Ive been working on my bike 1993 400ss. I have fixed the problem with fuel ( thanx Pat from this site ) anyway Ive taken off the left fairing and attached to the frame is Two Triangular plastic type housing back to back( best descrisption ) One has a hose leading to nowhere. and not connected to anything else. I have checked the manual but cant find anything. I would appreciate any help

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
These are not a great cause for concern.

There is a hose - about 1/2" diameter, that allows air to come and go above the carburettor diaphragms. There should be one emerging from each carburettor, attached to a gold-passivated elbow, if you still have the standard Mikuni CVs.

The non-carb end of these hoses should have a 'slash cut', and be poked into the little plastic box. It is just to discourage dust and dirt from being drawn into the vacuum chamber above the slide diaphragm.

If your bike has the Keihin FCRs (probably unlikely on a 400) these boxes are unnecessary.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My 1997 750 has the same black triangular housings. The 'inside' one of the two housings has two hoses entering it. One of the hoses goes to the right (front cylinder) carb; like Pat says, there is a metal elbow fitting on the outside of this carb, just under the air filter box, and the hose slips onto that fitting. The other hose disappears up between the two carbs somewhere, where it must fit to the other carb.

This 'inside' housing has two extra holes in it, right near where the two hoses enter it.

The 'outside' of the two housings has a hose coming out of it at the front top but I can't see where it goes; my Haynes manual refers to that hose as 'the bottom breather hose' and the other two hoses as 'the top breather hoses'.

The two hoses that go to the carbs: about half-way along each hose there is a small black plastic thing fitted in-line; they are about the size of an in-line fuel filter but I don't know what they do here; some kind of one-way valve?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanx pat, Theyre not connected as alice states the bikes running ok, although needs the carbs tuned and a ducati mechanic is to do that in the next week or so. Thought they would be a breather for the carbs But is strange they are not shown in any manual diagrams. Pat I also have a red triangle light on in the panel, I have checked all fuses and connections to sensors but have come up will nothing any ideas please ?? again nothing shown in manual

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
You're testing me now Johno! I haven't owned one of these for many years..

From memory the three red lights are for the sidestand down (which should fold up automatically unless it has been modified), the oil pressure warning light (which should extinguish as soon as the engine starts) and the alternator low-charge warning. It too should go out once the engine is running.

Best I can do without one here I'm afraid..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Instrument lights on mine; top row from left: neutral, low fuel, indicators, oil pressure. Bottom row from left: lights on, high beam, stand down, charging.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx Alice, This red Triangle had me very confused and concerned. It lloks like the prior owner tried to by pass it. Ive sorted it now. How long have you had your bike. iam A first timer on a Ducati

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cool, you will have plenty of Knowledge for me to draw on . so I hope you don't mind me bothering every now and again

·
Registered
280 Posts
No problem. I am not much help if you need technical/mechanical advice (Pat's the man there) but I will help if I can. The 400 should be a nice bike; lighter again than the 750, less power but just ride it accordingly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts