Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3 months ago I bought a Ducati 1098 with 19000 km (12k miles) on the odometer.
The bike had a real bad stalling issue after I received it, it literally died on almost every red light. Exhaust also backfired. I tried 2 new tanks of ethanol-free fuel and it was still the same, so it went back to the dealership. They said its a faulty coil, ordered the part (1 month of waiting...) and replaced it.

The issue still persisted. They replaced numerous fuel injection parts such as both coils, cleaned the injectors, tuning, etc. Finally the stalling issue was solved by installing a new ECU, a 1098S part.

Then, after receiving. Immediately during the test drive, after the engine was warmed up, the bike loses the vertical cylinder when riding. There is a huge blank spot between about 4000-8000 RPM, then sometimes it comes to life and allows me to accelerate, to then stop accelerating again. So it feels like you are riding a horse. The throttle has almost no response between about 1/3rd of the rotation until almost full throttle. The bike is unusable. Still sometimes stalls. Exhaust has backfires often.

Finally, after I managed to do about 100 kilometers of riding, the bike died in traffic and was not able to start again. The previous day I installed a brand new Yuasa high-performance battery, properly charged and all. About half an hour of trying to get it started and no success, I abandoned the bike, came back 3 hours later, still no success. Had to order a tow truck to get the bike back to the dealership.

Back to the dealership, they said one of the throttle bodies is loose, and ordered a replacement. 3 weeks of waiting, replaced throttle bodies and STILL THE SAME.

They have swapped the injectors, cleaned them again, valve clearances checked, timing checked, new spark plugs, etc. They said they are literally out of ideas and not able to solve the problem.
Fuel consumption has also been insane, I think the least I got was 9L/100km on a cruise, that's about 25MPG.

3 months have passed and I've been able to ride the bike for 1200kms. It has never worked correctly, almost even killed me when it stalled between 4 lanes of traffic...
Any ideas??

·
Registered
23 Posts
sounds like the issues that I had. stalling, poor throttle response, back fire, horrible fuel mileage, on & off power...except that mine had an aftermarket fuel management module. got rid of the junk & my mechanic customized the stock ECU slightly........my dash reads sbk 1098 TSE.....not exactly sure what he did but runs like a champ now. no issues since.

·
Registered
23 Posts
see if there is any good ducati mechanic/shop around your area. the dealers just want to replace everything wihout too much deep dive.

·
Registered
'01 750SS ie
21 Posts
I would say this is an electrical problem. Something like a broken core in a plug wire or pushed pin in a harness connector somewhere. I would also look for a pinched and shorted harness cable somewhere. Most of the time, I find those around the fuel tank mounts. Also clean any frame/engine grounds on the bike. Othere than these items, a faulty ECU on the main board could be the issue. A bent pin when a race ECU was removed and the stocker was replaced is a possibility. Never know what previous owners have done....! Just a few things to try.... Good luck M8!

One other thing, the throttle is "by wire" so that might be bad as well. I saw another thread on one of the forums with similar symptoms that was cured with a new throttle housing if memory serves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts