Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have been hitting the track more and am debating upgrading to a Panigale.. but also thinking of saving the money and upgrading my 848 evo corse se with either a slipper clutch or looking for a throttle auto blipper (which I have read about but cant find anywhere...?)
any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, insults... :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Slipper clutches are a lot cheaper then buying a new bike. The 899 doesn't even come with one, believe it or not. So you wouldn't be doing yourself that much of a favor upgrading in my eyes. Spending a tiny bit of money to make your bike better, is probably the best thing to do unless you plan on buying a 1299 with all the electronic goodies.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1. I am all about the latest and greatest. 2. Even without the SSA and under seat exhaust, the 899 IMO is AWFULLY nice. 3. The mods that I have done to my 2011 848 EVO in the last year are; AKRA slip on's, OBERON clutch slave, WOODCRAFT rear sets, PAZZO shorty levers, grips & bar ends, a 14 T front sprocket, ZG windscreen, seat cowl, fender eliminator and integrated turn signals.

Because I bought my bike at a very low price and because I am finalizing the last pieces of a divorce, I considered selling my bike to buy the LATEST & GREATEST model. (For me an 899.) I have decided against buying new and having to start the mods all over again. Your situation is different, but I am very happy with my decision.

Also, I don't go to the track, but buying a brand new bike for the track IMO would be the second of the two options that you posted. FWIW For the track, I would modify what you have.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
much cheaper to just upgrade your 848. you don't even need much other than that slipper clutch would be nice. the 848 is more than capable for the track...you won't outrun the bike anytime soon.

you won't find an auto-blipper for the 848 because you need a bike that has ride-by-wire throttle in order to do that. you can get them for Panigales (or other modern non-ducati bikes), but not for an 848.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Having ridden an 899 back to back with my mildly suspension massaged 848, (old one at that) I'd def say save the coin and just upgrade and re-do with the right stuff and enjoy. The only thing I liked better about the Pani was the short tail and I solved that on my 848 with a little ingenuity and the complete rear end off a Streetfighter.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I started riding Ducati's with an 848. When I felt I needed more I test rode an 1199S. My 1st impression was not good. I felt the Panigale was twitchy as hell compared to my 848. I didn't like it at all. A few months later as I continued to want more out of my streetbike I test rode another 1199S, this time a used one that had a full Termi exhaust and the suspension had been adjusted more to my liking. After about 20 minutes into the test ride I started to fall in love. It felt vastly different than the 1st Panigale I rode.... Then I jumped back on my 848 to ride home from the dealership after the 1199S test ride.

I bought a used 1198 Corse. I spent (with shipping and tax) about 2 grand more on the used 1198 Corse than I could have for that used 1199S...

Absolutely happy with my decision to stay with a framed bike.

Now, I'll eventually get a Panigale, but I'll always keep my 1198 Corse!!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
i had the same issue when i test rode the panigale, dont get me wrong is a great bike, loads and loads of power but i just didnt like the feeling of it may be in the feature i will give it go again

I started riding Ducati's with an 848. When I felt I needed more I test rode an 1199S. My 1st impression was not good. I felt the Panigale was twitchy as hell compared to my 848. I didn't like it at all. A few months later as I continued to want more out of my streetbike I test rode another 1199S, this time a used one that had a full Termi exhaust and the suspension had been adjusted more to my liking. After about 20 minutes into the test ride I started to fall in love. It felt vastly different than the 1st Panigale I rode.... Then I jumped back on my 848 to ride home from the dealership after the 1199S test ride.

I bought a used 1198 Corse. I spent (with shipping and tax) about 2 grand more on the used 1198 Corse than I could have for that used 1199S...

Absolutely happy with my decision to stay with a framed bike.

Now, I'll eventually get a Panigale, but I'll always keep my 1198 Corse!!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ok since you are talking about 1199 vs. 848 and not 899 vs. 848, let me offer a few thoughts on the matter.

I’ve found riding a smaller engine bike to be more fun on the track. Unless you have a huge track with long straights or if you’re one of the few who are capable of extracting a better time on the literbike.
In Alberta we have a small track and I’ve taken both my R6 and 1098 on it. Without doubt the R6 is currently more enjoyable.
Its more nimble and is just generally so much more easier to ride.
The one time I get on the straight though the 1098 wows me like the R6 never can.

I would stick with the 848 over the 1199.
Throw a slipper clutch on there if you feel its necessary and get the suspension set up for your weight if you haven’t already done so.
Personally I wouldn’t bother with upgrading the suspension just yet unless you are a good enough of a rider to feel its limitations.

Oh I’ll add that I’m an intermediate rider (recently graduated out of novice) so keep that in mind when you read my post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.