Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my predicament indeed Duca Fam...:confused:

I am torn because I am trying to justify this beautiful 1299 purchase as my daily driver.
Mind you I will be driving it, on a daily basis during morning/afternoon rush hours from Northeast Philly to Downtown Philadelphia (ats:30mins) and vice versa thru the i95 Highway:mad: and or the dreading Route1:mad:.(ats:50mins):kaioken:

Therefore I am in need of your experienced opinion on this matter::popcorn:
Has anyone done this upgrade? If so how much heat is there to bear compared to the 848? Ergonomics any better?

Thank you all in advance for your sincere opinions and sharing your experience.

BTW: No track days here for this bike at all ... just daily driver/cruising etc ... and the occasional weekend trip to Atlantic City beaches once the weather permits.

Thank you all again :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I would never get a superbike as a DD, especially if it will never see the track. Go for a monster 1200S or 1200R...more comfortable and better for traffic.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Would be a waste of money. Get an 899/959 if you absolutely have to get a superbike. Otherwise get a monster as other have said

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
On one hand I'm inclined to say: "get what you want, and ride it where you like".

On the other hand, if you have heat issues with the 848, they are going to be worse on the 1299. And I'm thinking about the engine temperature, more than your comfort.

Obviously that's not what it's made for, but it's your money. Your neck, trying to look up on a superbike in traffic for long periods, getting hotter and hotter..

Maybe try and get a test-ride and go along the same run, and then decide. Try a 'sit-up model' as suggested for comparison. If you're buying a new high-line Ducati they should be open to that.

That way you won't have to ask for advice - you'll be the expert.

;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate all your input guys and please keep them coming!

I guess I omitted one thing ... this will be the last Ducati that I will be able to get!
I am in a stage of my life that family obviously comes first but it does not mean you have to give up riding. I certainly, not only appreciate your sound suggestions: "1200S, 1200R" & "899/949" but I will certainly consider them. I guess my thought process was that I really wanted to make my last bike a keeper (mind you I am 5'7" 145lbs) and perhaps have my son inherit this bike (he is only 7yrs old) once he gets WAY older & wiser LOL!!!

It is sad to say that I no longer own an 848 evo ... with that been said I will be acquiring the new bike by the end of this month to take advantage of the 0% interest promo. This one is certainly a difficult decision but I am now certain that I will be taking the bike for some track time since I was able to get wifey to agree. She understood that it is not a bad thing to sharpen your skills but also get my dose of adrenaline every once in a while in a controlled environment but not every month. I can leave with that ... and perhaps this may or may not change your future suggestions.

Therefore please keep them coming guys ...

Sincerely

FELORACING26

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an 899 I take everywhere. Heat is an issue sometimes but I live in Arizona. Buy the 1299. When not in traffic it is a blast to ride. Only concern at 5'7 bike may be a little tall Good friend is 5'6 and has an 1199 with comfort seat. Does the tip toe thing but never had a problem. BTW he rides year round too

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TO: 7 Summits, Dmitry5099 & pat1098

You guys certainly bring sound suggestions which by the way I took in consideration and just scheduled this morning a test drive for the suggested models. I will keep you posted what the outcome is ...

I guess I was a little worried since I can barely stand or hold any of the bigger wider bikes and I think make me look weird on them ... lol! Never the less I am going to take those test drives to see how each of them feel & look.

I really loved my 848 which by the way I rode as a daily commuter for 2 1/2yrs.
I guess it was just a bit to big for me as my second Ducati but I loved the way it looked.
Now, I heard the ergo on the 899, 959, 1199 & 1299 area a bit different but improved from model to model. So it can'be worst then my 848 ergo's .... yup @ 5'7"-145lbs ... I do not have those long a$$ arms/legs but I wrote mine everyday rained or shine from 98 degrees to 38 degrees.

Fun times indeed !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To: Azdave

First of thanks for your quick reply and suggestions.
Trust me I know exactly how your friend feels since it was exactly that way "tip toe" how I rode my 848. Mind you I had that bike setup to my height (to their best of their ability) without taking to much of the bike. That's was when I weighted 120lbs (LOL!) so I imagine that Jajajaja but I have been working my weight up to at least 160lbs .. only 15lbs more to go. By the way I did hear not that I know off until I ride them, that the 1299 ergo were much different to the 1199? I will find out soon ...

Again thank you for your input!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Although it'll be more comfy (for a Superbike) than the 848, I can already hear the moans coming from the heat it puts out. Especially when sitting in rush hour traffic. Unless you wear leather riding pants over your work pants, or change when you get to work, I'm thinking it'll get pretty warm. My 1199 gets warm but it's tolerable. I recommend heading to the dealer and test riding one for 20-30 mins. I had a 1198 and the 1199 is much more comfy. Still very aggressive but the seat is a good one right from the factory.

·
Registered
457 Posts
To: Azdave

First of thanks for your quick reply and suggestions.
Trust me I know exactly how your friend feels since it was exactly that way "tip toe" how I rode my 848. Mind you I had that bike setup to my height (to their best of their ability) without taking to much of the bike. That's was when I weighted 120lbs (LOL!) so I imagine that Jajajaja but I have been working my weight up to at least 160lbs .. only 15lbs more to go. By the way I did hear not that I know off until I ride them, that the 1299 ergo were much different to the 1199? I will find out soon ...

Again thank you for your input!
I had rode my 1199 to the dealer to test ride the 1299 and the first thing I noticed was how much more comfy the seat was. They made a thicker, less slippery one for the 899/1299. Other than that it felt the same pretty much. First thing I did was buy an 899 seat for my 1199 and now I'm loving life.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an 848, love the bike. Went to take out an 899 for a test drive, wanted to trade in my 848 that day! The 899 had better ergos, and it was a smoother bike.

As it should be. It was newer, and had the benefit of much development. Once I got home, I realized what a great bike I have, did not want to sell mine.

Over time, I wanted to do more commuting, take miles off my 848. So I bought a Multi GT. Fast, comfy, awesome bike. It may not be your cup of tea, but it does a great deal of things well. It would not hurt to check it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To: Dmitriy5099

I am heading over to CrossCountry Ducati over @ Metuchen NJ.
I had purchased my bikes from there and the sales person Terrance (a.k.a Mr. T) is pretty cool with me. The drive up there really sucks but I like their showroom and people. I have not been to the Manayunk one yet perhaps I should visit. I have been to the one over @ Willow Grove but the showroom and the people were OK as they are more of a track oriented dealer. I certainly go there just to get my oil change done since it WAY CLOSER!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To: DLIT

I do wear leather to work and change @ work as far as heat is concern i certainly apprecaite your expertise based on your own experience. Nothing better than an actual rider feedback to make a rational decision!

Thanks again DLIT

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
To: themightye

It didn't even cross my mind that option you had mentioned (Multi GT) .. perhaps the dealer may not be to happy with me testing several bikes the same day but my boy T can certainly try to accommodate on more .. i hope! LOL

Thanks for your input as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To: themightye

It didn't even cross my mind that option you had mentioned (Multi GT) .. perhaps the dealer may not be to happy with me testing several bikes the same day but my boy T can certainly try to accommodate on more .. i hope! LOL

Thanks for your input as well.

If your dealer is worth anything he or she should let you try out a bunch of bikes. My dealership was great--I tried out many, took some out on long drives. I love Ducatis and the GT suited my exact needs. Very happy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Being on i95 will be a killer. I have a 848 and up till about two months ago I was taking the same trip. If you're going to keep it and pass it on. Make sure it's not his first bike. Lol.
Get what your heart wants. Just my .02 cent. You will have to deal with he heat no matter what bike you get.

I'm in philly as well close to the art museum. So if you going for a joy ride hit me up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
To: PhilaDucati848

Thanks for your 2 cents !
Trust me it won't be his first since he is 7 years old and he is already riding a mini bike.
I will let you know as soon as I get it to take a ride by the Philly Museum.

Enjoy your bike ... I sure did enjoy my 848!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts