Ducati.org forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
on this topic does any know when the thermo fams should kick in?
My fans kick on at 220F. Just FYI, in warm/hot weather (85-95F) at routine cruise (70-80 mph) my 1098 routinely registers 168-172F. In stop/go traffic it routinely bounces from 180-220F. When it hits 220F, the fans kick in and I see it drop and hold steady at about 217-219F while the bike is idling at a stop.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So, what's the verdict? Did the NAPA part do the trick?

I'm waiting on the updated plastic housing from Ducati. Pulling out the temp sensor dumps about 1/4-1/2 gallon of coolant all over.

The biggest issue IMHO is the housing. I doubt every single persons temp sensor is reading 10% low like mine. My problem happens to be (imho) a combination of the two.

I'll give my dealer a call tomorrow, maybe the part is in..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I was still hoping to see a final answer on this.
Did you give up or?
Thanks

Absolutely not, lol...

I picked up my updated temp sensor housing a few days ago, and am going try the new sensor and change to engine ice today or tomorrow.

First impressions on the housing... Not a huge improvement. It looks like the bore is slightly larger, and it might let just a bit more of the temp sensor stick out, but not much.

I wonder if Ducati went to a different company for temp sensors with a shorter probe.... Either way I'll take comparison pics for everyone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok... I believe I've found the official problem of the 1098 (and probably 848) running too cold..

With 172F water (as measured with stick cooking thermometer and verified with IR as well)

Napa temp sensor reads 171F
OE temp sensor reads 160F

With 134F water the difference was less, but the Napa part read about 5-6F higher.

The Napa part number is TS5520. If you don't have a Napa you should be able to cross reference this with a Bosch.

Also, I had a revision B temp sensor housing, and it looks pretty much the same as the newer C revision... So I'm going to keep my modified one.

Now to put her back together and do some more testing on the street.

:yo:

·
Registered
33 Posts
So you believe the real fix is to just replace the thermostat and leave the housing alone without modifying it, I have an early 07?
I have always thought this has been a strange thing that was not making any sense and you have been very diligent in finding a solution.
I thank you and please let us know if your road testing shows any final thoughts.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Well the thermostat itself can't be replaced as it is a Ducati-specific part. You may mean the temp sensor housing not the thermostat housing?

In my opinion there are two issues -

1) The temp sensor Ducati uses seem to be fairly low quality. My guess is most of them are off by 5-10%. Some of them may read higher than usual (this is ok) but many seem to read too cold (this is not ok, as the thermostat opens at 160F while the bike temp sensor *thinks* it's actually 150F. The fix for this is the Napa thermostat. (edit TEMP SENSOR!)

2) The temp sensor housing doesn't allow hardly any coolant flow around the stock sensor. The Napa sensor is longer, so simply replacing the sensor will probably help a LOT. However, I chose to use a dremel to relieve some of the plastic around the sensor (as seen in previous pics). There's a lot of extra material and IMO this is very easy to do without compromising the housing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
DUH, of course you are correct.
Do you feel that modifying the sensor housing is worth the extra work?
Or is it not that much more work to pull the housing?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
DUH, of course you are correct.
Do you feel that modifying the sensor housing is worth the extra work?
Or is it not that much more work to pull the housing?

Well... you can probably change just the sensor without losing much coolant, which would be fairly quick. Left fairing, battery, 3 bolts for battery box and it swings out of the way - no need to disconnect anything. At that point you can unscrew old sensor, hold finger over hole to keep coolant from leaking, screw in new sensor.

When I removed the housing I lost enough coolant to require adding more, which meant removing the right side panel as well, although even that isn't too difficult.

All of this being said, the housing affect how quickly the readout changes but the fact remains that my stock sensor was off by a good 7-10%. Also the new sensor is longer, and most of the time the thermistor is at the very tip so... I dunno. In my opinion it's worth the extra work if you already own a dremel and are comfortable looking close and being careful with sanding, - but you could get by with just changing the sensor.

On a side note - this temp problem is nothing compared to the dirt I found inside my airbox (I pulled the filter while changing the temp sensor).

http://www.ducatispot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15766

·
Registered
154 Posts
I live in Japan and traffic is an issue. In stop and go traffic (you have no choice as the citi is so big it takes forever to get to mount Fuji and the twisties), my 1198 hits 105C as high as 107 degrees, regardless of outside air temp. It will move down to the 80's low 90's once I start moving at a reasonable pace (at say 30 degrees ambient). I shut the motor down during stop lights as the bike starts to boil me. Is it bad practice to shut the engine down at lights??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Australian Post Temps Quoted in Cel. I have just got my 848 back after two weeks of the mechanics trying to fix the same temp issue. Mine went in for the 12000 k service and after that it wouldn't get over 60-61 Deg c (I don't think it's related). They changed the thermostat and hoped it would work and to be honest at idle it would exceed 60 but after riding in 16 Deg c for about 200 metres it again dropped to 60 and stayed there. The shop in Canberra has has been great unlike Ducati Aust who have indicated they have never heard of any temp issues. This thread is great and I'll now will try the new AM sensor to see what happens. Has anyone else in Aust had the same problem. BTW when they worked on the bike they discovered a major fuel leak which was coming out of the Carbies. It's had a fuel smell since day one but the previous mechanics put it down to the Carbon filters and oveflow or breather. The reason it never showed under the bike was it ended up on the exaust which is not good.
If this doesn't work I'm moving back to North Queensland.......
Thanks JACOB I'll try and get the AM part over here and keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Nemesis with 2 very different maps, one full of gas to cool it down, one for performance. You simply hit the starter at stoplights/in traffic and you cool it down. I never get beyond 95C on most days, 97 in the absolute worst case scenario. With the hot map, I used to hit 105 in the same conditions.

So you get the best of both worlds:)

When I got it from the dealer with Termi it would go to 107 LOL...

Shawn

·
Registered
1 Posts
A year later so I'm not sure if you are having the same problem. But mine will run 120 to 130F, with a 60-70F ambient. Put the thermostat on the stove and it seemed to open between 135 and 140F! Any recent thoughts??

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nemesis with 2 very different maps, one full of gas to cool it down, one for performance. You simply hit the starter at stoplights/in traffic and you cool it down. I never get beyond 95C on most days, 97 in the absolute worst case scenario. With the hot map, I used to hit 105 in the same conditions.

So you get the best of both worlds:)

When I got it from the dealer with Termi it would go to 107 LOL...

Shawn
This is the silliest thing I've ever heard of. And yes I know the theory,but it's still silly.
Ciao

·
Registered
240 Posts
155 to 210 all the time and 30 to 38 mpg all the time. enjoy it all the time. dont care about mileage. as long as my ass heats up from the pipes i'm good to go.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts