Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read if shims need adjusting to do the closers first as they will effect the openers, then someone said NO, do the openers first as they effect the closers :confused:

So which is correct :blind:

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Adjusting a too-loose closing shim can bring the valve slightly closer to the camshaft and opening shim.

So definitely do the closers first. It's pretty well how you have to do it, with the camshafts removed to access the closers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First valve check 7.5k miles

On checking the shim sizes ... one closer shim measures 3.50, to get the desired clearance it should need to go to a 3.60 .... but it looks like 3.55 is the biggest you can get .... that correct?
But it depends on if you go by Adjust or Checking
Ducati recommendation
Adjust
All Openers 0.13 - 0.18
All Closers 0.05 - 0.10
Checking
All Openers 0.10-0.25
All Closers 0.05-0.25

my clearances on Vertical
intake opener left 0.13
intake opener right 0.13
intake closer left 0.09
intake closer right 0.13 - to loose by adjust spec
exhaust opener left 0.06 - to tight
exhaust opener right 0.08 - to tight
exhaust closer left 0.18 - to loose by adjust spec
exhaust closer right 0.175 - to loose by adjust spec

So ... what do you guys set your clearances to when you do them ?

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Ideally you will get your closers to the .003 - .004" range. That is, .08 - .10 metric.

Inlet openers .004" (.10 mm) and exhaust openers .006" (.15 mm). These have actually been the opening settings for Desmo (and non-Desmo) heads all along from the '70s models.

These are ideal settings, where of course Ducati offer a 'generous' range of 'acceptable' clearances.

Which often means that a shop will spend all day dismantling and measuring your clearances, only to tell you that it's all "within spec", and put it back together with no gain.

Has you spending a lot of money for not much. If you set them to the ideal settings I have listed you should be able to leave them alone for longer.

At least that's what I have found with mine (now over 83,000 kms and running sweetly). Even though I haven't checked my clearances for about 23,000 kms (recommended every 12,000).

Once you have done this process a second time they should remain pretty stable, so long as you don't go about missing gears and revving the poop out of it.

:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers matey ... dont ride it hard enough tbh ... not on the UK crap roads anyway lol

while im in there and got it all apart i mignt as well set it to all the specs you mentioned but to get the exhaust closer in spec I'd need a closer shim of 3.60 ... think they only do 3.55 though ... its got a 3.50 in there from new

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
No excuses! I've done a lot of miles in the UK and found some pretty excellent roads. You might have to go a bit further to find them..

;)

As to the 3.60 closer - you're right. Mine only go to 3.55, and I've never needed a thicker one. I've done quite a few valve-setting jobs on 848, 1098 and 1198s.

The 848s are in a slightly different range, but within the range offered in the EMS kit (which I helped develop, as I was one of the first who got into this back in '08).

This would suggest that valve has had a rework - either at the point of manufacture, or since. Re-cutting my seats and valves (at about 42,000 kms) still didn't require a closer as thick as 3.55.

Maybe try a pair of new half-clips on that valve. You might pick up a thou or two. Have a close look at their groove in the valve in case there has been some distortion there.

These can get a hard time if a gear is missed and the thing over-revs. You will know as some of the closing collars will be difficult to get past the groove when you go to replace them.

Failing that, I'm sure Mike at EMS could supply you with a thicker collar. I found them very amenable, and pretty quick with sending shims. Particularly if you have already bought their kit.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Nice to hear your enthusiasm.

I should warn you that after you've done this job a lot of times the novelty wears off..

And if you missed the tip - be sure to insert a thin piece of tubing into the oil drain-back holes in the rear (V - verticale) head.

You don't want to drop a hard, spring steel wire half-clip down there..

Not really necessary on the front (O - orrizontale) head.

Good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Managed to get these results, god its a pain to do lol

Vertical
intake opener left 0.11
intake opener right 0.11
Intake closer left 0.075
Intake closer right 0.08
Exhaust opener left 0.11
exhaust opner right 0.11
exhaust closer left 0.10
exhaust closer right 0.08

Horizontal virtually identical .... openers are easy to make upto 0.13 ... would the closers be ok at these specs? Going by ducati they would .... had the cams out a LOT lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.