Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Alvin.
I must admit I feel a bit guilty knowing there are so many guys waiting for their bikes. I ordered my test bike 4 months ago when I heard the launch was being held in South Africa. We spent time with Troy and lots of factory mechanics at the circuit. One thing you may want to know-everyone who rode both the 1098 and the S felt that the 1098 is a better road bike with more compliant suspension. The Ohlins units on the S are rock hard and do not have as much travel. Cheers, Robin

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great to find this site - Robin, simply stunning bike!

I have ordered a 1098S but have to wait until March!! before delivery.
I'm in the UK and dealer said bikes would be in beofre Christmas so I eagerly visited my local Ducatio Dealer to find out deliveries have been delayed till March - Anyway deposit has secured the bike - its gonna be a long 3 months but worth the wait I hope!

Agree with Alvin would be great to see some more vids/pics

·
Registered
178 Posts
You must be amongst the very first people to own one. Lucky you. I pick up my 1098S here in the UK in March 2007 !! Still with the weather here being what it is, I am not missing two wheels too much, but the wait is agonising!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My dealer told me today that my 1098 S will be delivered friday. My bike will stay there untill next week to show to some other customers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It will worth the wait. The bike is brilliant, lots of character and it flies compared to any previous Duke I have ridden. The only current bike which I have ridden which will give it a hard time is a F41000R. I ride in a group of guys who have all the latest 1000's with various mods. We ride long runs over mountain passes and great roads, often 600-1000km on Sundays and the 1098 is completely on the pace. Super quick out of turns with great traction. You have lots to look forward to. Robin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats Robin on your new bike! interesting comment about the 1000R, I was wondering if you have ridden 999 and if the 1098 is noticably lighter? thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks, I have ridden all the 999 models. The 1098 feels smaller, a lot lighter and much stronger than a 999S with Termi system, for example. The motor has a different sound and character, more staccato and revs more freely. Robin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for a cool site to discuss Ducati Bikes

I am pleased to find a site which can help me decide options for my 1098 coming in the next few weeks. I have always been a Honda owner and decided it was time to step up to the Duc and ride the most beautiful bike I have ever set my eyes on. I originally went to purchase a Triumph 675 at my local Ducati/Triumph dealer and was told to go to the International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach, CA to view the latest from Ducati. I was told that pictures did not do the bike justice and wanted to try the height and feel between my legs as much as one can possible feel on a bike stand. After 2 hours of walking around the show I proceeded to go back to the booth and apply my deposit and went home with a smile. Any info I can attain from fellow newbies or experienced Duc owners will be appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff
SoCal

·
Registered
34 Posts
rapidrobin said:
It will worth the wait. The bike is brilliant, lots of character and it flies compared to any previous Duke I have ridden. The only current bike which I have ridden which will give it a hard time is a F41000R. I ride in a group of guys who have all the latest 1000's with various mods. We ride long runs over mountain passes and great roads, often 600-1000km on Sundays and the 1098 is completely on the pace. Super quick out of turns with great traction. You have lots to look forward to. Robin
Since you are one of just a few who have ridden the 1098 in real world conditions, how are the ergos? From what you've said above, it sounds like they are pretty comfortable for the beast that it is. How would you say it compares to a GSX-R1000 or R1?

·
Registered
21 Posts
the riding position is more comfortable and spacious than a 999. Nothing is adjustable but I feel they have got it just right. I heard they based the final measurements on the 06 CBR1000RR and that is also relaxed for a sports bike. The screen is the only real problem, looks great, works shit!

·
Registered
21 Posts
you have definitely made the right decision. I have a 675 in my garage and it is a fantastic bike but has some design problems, in my opinion, especially heat transfer to the rider, scarey high speed handling on bumpy roads and crazy oil consumption. The 1098 has none of these problems and is really on a completely different level re performance, quality and image. Some Triumph owners would no doubt disagree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI Guys
get mine late jan no problems with the s hard settings the Ohlins i had on my aprilia had the rear spring changed and front forks revalved to fit my weight and riding style ,best mod i made.
this is the first ducati i will own in 35 years of riding , having doubts about reliability etc have kept me of them i hope i have made the right choice .
to me this is one of the best looking bikes i have seen in years and am looking forward to picking it up.
merry christmas and a happy safe biking new year
micromike

·
Registered
8 Posts
it's good to see that the exup valve cover plate is small and black - compared to the butt ugly silver alloy pancake on the press photos.... and the caliper mounts in black are nice too. All we need now is the factory say-so to grind off the HORRIBLE weld scar on the left side of the swingarm.....! :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree about the swingarm but it is not so bad in the flesh. I have had a good look at removing the exup valve but it is in part of the exhaust which is welded both ends. If it was removed along with its brackets etc, a small carbon cover plate would be all you would need instead of the big black tin standard item. I believe it is only required to allow the bike to pass the Euro 3 noise regulations.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts