Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having this issue since I had the 7500 mile service maybe in 2014? Maybe the very oil weep was already happening and I never noticed because I rode more. I only noticed after the service because I really slowed my riding. Service was done by a reputable shop in Silicon Valley (one of two most Ducati owners would trust).

Nonetheless and over the years, even another shop (my other go-to) couldn't see it and I left it there for 3 or maybe even 4 week. When I try to observe it before and after bringing to this shop, I'll check twice a week for 4 or 5 weeks. nothing... then I skip a week or two, and then it's there. This time, it was about 5 weeks to get this much. I use foot spray powder per the last shop since it's easier to clean than baby powder that I used last time.

I thought it was the oil drain plate cover gasket for the secondary gauze. I was about to get a corse dynamics but with recent pics, it doesn't seem to be. Could it e the silicon/gasket maker to mate the engine is leaking? I've only put on maybe 400 miles since the 7500 service.

The bike is on a rear stand hence most of the droplets are towards the front.

Current most recent pics

Oil in garage floor (6 weeks minimum.. didn't have a pan underneath)

https://imgur.com/I1XObVG
https://imgur.com/RS0IGkm
https://imgur.com/kILMElu
https://imgur.com/nXl9Myg

I think it just splatters all over the place since these pics are when it was ridden

can't remember if this is after a short ride or still on stands for multiple weeks. Seems a little too clean, i.e. no grime. but the oil residue is also higher.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Oil is cheap.. just drain it and fix it if you think it’s the gauze plate it’s not worth the heart ache..

But I suspect it’s not there but up on the case sealant. Squirt it with x-55 cleaner ,shellite or brake clean.. then spray it with under Arm deodorant to tell tale leaks.. or clean it and spray with clear lacquer..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
is this common? the case sealant weeps? i guess i need to ride more. i never had anything in the floor before until the service though as said, it was on stands.

so laquer spray can seal it further? i already sprayed foot powder around hence the surface looks strange. athlete's foot spray is pretty thin. i actually cleaned the area with dawn to get rid of the grime/grease, dry and did the athlete's foot spray

·
Court Jester
11,606 Posts
Shrek may be right it might be further up, but that plate is common to not get the sealant correct (I don't even see any). He's also right I'd do an oil change and open up that plate and reseal. It is possible for the oil to creep up getting blown...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wanted to clarify.. originally i thought its the plate too but in other pics, it's pretty oily in higher areas. i'm ready to purchase the corse dynamics from motowheels but it relaly does look like it's not the plate and the gasket. i got the 2008 version where they had a re-usable gasket for the secondary filter plate cover.

i do have the gasket maker i used for the waterpump when i replaced it for racing. i hardly open the secondary oil gauze so i can use that though in this observation, it doesn't seem to be the plate at all.

i just meant in the pic above with the red square if the leak is the gasket where the engine case mate?

i've actually done this a few times and always cleaning with dawn dishwasher mix to get rid of the oily film and isolate where the weep is from

Shrek do you mean lacquer? unsure i can find in california (for auto paint). i figure clearcoat might work?

·
Registered
806 Posts
N.A. equivalent to Shellac would be Varithane. I would try to snug up the two lowest case bolts - that might be enough. But go gentle...
I agree that it isn't the plate.

·
Read Only
2,524 Posts
i wanted to clarify.. originally i thought its the plate too but in other pics, it's pretty oily in higher areas.
So how about some pictures of those areas instead of endless pictures of where it is not coming from. :stickpoke

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is not that uncommon for the automatic goo squirter machine at the factory to have a hiccup and miss a bit but you have goo that has squirted out from the crankcase joint. That tells me that there is goo in that joint and highly unlikely (IMHO) to be the problem. It didn't leak before so it highly likely that it was something that happened while it was serviced. The original sump plate screws have been replaced with generic 5mm allens that don't offer as much support as the flanged originals and can also be tightened way more without the tool slipping. It looks like the sump plate may be slightly bent from over tightening. A new sump plate installed with no gasket and the proper screws to the correct torque as per the later bikes and 1215 goo , allowed to dry overnight will take care of it. it will cost you $50 to find out. To split the cases will cost $2K or thereabouts. First rule of being a mechanic____If it was alright before you touched it and isn't afterwards it's probably something you've done. BTW the filter in there is huge. Absolutely no need to remove it for cleaning in normal service.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So how about some pictures of those areas instead of endless pictures of where it is not coming from. :stickpoke
i cleaned it but didn't take pictures of that higher area. Which after the last 2 times, nothing up higher was showing any oily residue/film.

Check the oil cooler lines
i'll check them one more time. thanks. i used a glove to see if any but i don't recall. and the shop didn't either when i left it there for an extended period of time.

Bevel Boy,
it is weird this would happen after 5 or so years and when mostly in the garage. When I tracked it and put on a few races one year, I never saw this issue like this.

I actually am the one who put those bolts because it was easier to safety wire. No leak in 2010 when I put it on a few races. I was ready to buy same but better flanged bolts from mcmaster that were $5 each or so. so the "pressure" is spread out more. That's why i did this one last attempt and posted here since I'm stumped completely.

pretty close to just getting the corsa plate/gasket. if any, i'll just put the order soon.

appreciate the other tips!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts