Ducati.org forum banner

Very small oil leak after new Pressure Plate, springs and caps install

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  onesaintsfan 
#1 ·
After installing a new open clutch cover, springs and caps I have noticed a very small oil leak at the bottom of the clutch cover. My pushrod was stuck to the pressure plate bearing so I pulled it out with the along with the cover.

It would appear from some googling that maybe when I slid the rod and pressure plate back in from the right side that has caused this leak.

I have ordered the replacement O-rings and seal from Desmo times but don't know when it will be here.

To be on the safe side I went back in and removed the slave cylinder and pulled the rod out from the left side. It took some effort but I finally freed the rod and was able to pull it out. I cleaned and lubed the slave O ring and the two on the left side of the rod.

I guess possibly the other seal may be damaged on the pressure plate side.

I have going to barbers this weekend and just don have time to pull the clutch etc. again so am just hoping for the best.

When I get the O-rings and seal from Desmo times I hope I have time to install it before Austin MotoGP.

Will this small leak cause me problems at my track day?

See less See more
#2 ·
A very small amount of oil weeping is not a huge problem but it it drips or runs you owe it to your fellow riders to get it sorted before going out. Do you really want to risk your weekend by failing tech? I'd suggest picking up the needed replacement parts, o-rings and seals are dirt cheap. Keep a careful eye on it between sessions and be prepared to service it on site. It takes less than 45 min to remove the push rod, lip seal and o-rings and replace them with new parts. I always remove the push rod from the clutch side extracting it along with the pressure plate. Reassemble the same way generously lube the lip seal and o-rings with grease and gently feed it into place.

#3 ·
All is well

took the pushrod out from the slave side and cleaned and lubed the rod. Gently put in back in and all is well. No more leaks. I did order the O-Ring kit from Desmo times and have that on hand. Taking her to Ducati Island next weekend then NOLA for another track day. I will replace them at the first opportunity. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.