Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This video has been on my list to complete for a while, and I finally finished it! This was a fairly advanced project for me, and I had to seek some help with the drilling & tapping part...

Please note: You do not have to complete this mod IF you simply want to change your final drive to 15/41. This mod will enable you to experiment with various set ups, but to clarify, the one I like the best and use the most (15/41), does not require this mod. It is quite fun experimenting with the various final drive options, though!

If you have a question about this mod, leave it in the comments section of the video, or post it up here.

Enjoy!

Full URL: https://youtu.be/Ey7PYI8wv8I

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do any of you know when or if Pat might be rejoining us here? He's the forum member that pointed me in the direction of this mod, and I want to thank him for the inspiration.

I also recall some talk from him about weighing the front end and rear end of the bike to better understand where the weight biases are... I'd like to delve in to this a little more before next riding season. I suppose the big question is: What is the best way to weigh each end of the bike? Have any of you tackled this before?

·
Registered
211 Posts
i once used a regular scale for people. i lifted each wheel and put the scale under it, but my garage floor isn't totally flat and i had 2-3 kilos variation.

proper measurement should also include putting the other wheel on an object equal to the scale's height. i guess this will be a good measurement why not.

this mod is indeed interesting i had no idea that you can get the rear wheel even further back by relocating the caliper. and it helps mostly on swingarm length gain rather than gear ratio options i believe. it goes back to 505mm? anyone measured maximum length with this mod?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Didn't you do a video of this a year ago?
No, not this modification. You may be thinking about the video where we repaired/welded the crack in my stock swingarm. It was the same shop, Ed the owner is becoming my new best friend!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it goes back to 505mm? anyone measured maximum length with this mod?
Yes, when measured from the center of the swingarm pivot back to the center of the rear axle (no sprocket/chain), with this mod the measurement is 505mm.

After work today, I will look at my notes and post the measurements for the three different sprockets and chain combinations that I have tried so far (15/39, 15/41 and 15/43).

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Don't know about Pat. Even when his ban ends (if it hasn't already) he may or may not come back. I probably wouldn't either if I was him.

They have scales that you can do this with, similar to ones used for cars. Just a pad basically that goes under each wheel, then you just hold the bike straight. But if you don't have access to that, then pretty much what fuzion said is good enough, though won't be quite as accurate.

848 swing arm must be shorter, because as I recall, doing this mod will allow it to go up to 515 mm, but I believe that's for 1098/1198, so there must be a 10 mm difference between swing arms.

·
Court Jester
12,112 Posts
Don't know about Pat. Even when his ban ends (if it hasn't already) he may or may not come back. I probably wouldn't either if I was him.
He still lurks and I have his email if anyone is interested I owe him a reply from his last email.

The good is when he is back, the bad..... :bawling:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
it goes back to 505mm? anyone measured maximum length with this mod?
Here's what my notes say:

15/39 w/pin in stock position: 486mm

15/41 w/pin in rear position: 496mm

15/43 w/pin in rear position: 505mm

Out of these three I like 15/41 the best in terms of power delivery and bike geometry... Coincidentally, it will work with the pin in the stock position or in the rear position (the mod is not required for this set up).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Currently slated to clear on 12/26. I'd be happy to change that now if he's interested.

I for one would welcome an early return, and I'm sure a lot of other members would, if he's open to that...

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
@ Rub... The only difference in the swing arms is the axle and hub diameter .... as far as I know..
That's what I always thought, but never measured. My local Ducati master tech told me the 848 is shorter. The part numbers are indeed different when I looked them up (that's not counting the hub, just the swing arm itself).

I know for sure that the 899 has a shorter swing arm than it's bigger brothers 1199 and 1299, but granted those are totally different designs too...but it wouldn't surprise me if Ducati used the same logic with previous models....as in, the bigger more power bike gets a slightly longer swing arm than the less powerful version. Perhaps it's the same for the 749/999 and the 748/998?? Not sure, but maybe someone else does...

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
^^^ Rub, I do know the DP/corse swing arm is 15mm longer than the OEM, and is interchangeable with the 848.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey rub, i don't know if you remember, but i just did the 848/xx98 swingarm retrofit to my 998. I physically measured like 5 swingarms taken off different year 1098s 1198s and 848s, and found no difference whatever in the length. The different part numbers, although a bit ambiguous, reference "complete swingarm", there by including the hub. And of course the B for black on some models.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Do any of you know when or if Pat might be rejoining us here? He's the forum member that pointed me in the direction of this mod, and I want to thank him for the inspiration.

I also recall some talk from him about weighing the front end and rear end of the bike to better understand where the weight biases are... I'd like to delve in to this a little more before next riding season. I suppose the big question is: What is the best way to weigh each end of the bike? Have any of you tackled this before?
A shop i went to had a kind of long low wooden box with a little ramp at one end and 2 bathroom scales that dropped in. You could just roll the bike up and read the scales. The whole thing probably cost thirty bucks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
on the chain and measurements...

can you go longer chain to get 15/40 lets say and >500mm length or you dont get proper tension then? what is the absolute maximum length that the eccentric can go to?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.