Ducati.org forum banner

VIDEO: How to Troubleshoot Overheating Motorcycle that Keeps Blowing Fuses

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Tchase 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, here's a video that I recently completed on the topic of overheating motorcycles and cooling fan fuses that keep blowing. This was filmed a while ago, after I received the dreaded 'Error Fan 18.2" warning on my 2009 Ducati 848; the video has been on the 'back burner' awaiting some final edits.

After going through some initial troubleshooting steps in this video I actually thought my fan issue was resolved until another electrical problem cropped up a couple of days later (some of you can probably guess what this was)...

The video is fairly basic and designed for new motorcyclists with little to no troubleshooting skills and/or experience. It can also be viewed as a refresher for those of us who have never dealt with this specific problem--or have not had to deal with it in a while...

Enjoy!

#2 ·
Hey everyone, here's a video that I recently completed on the topic of overheating motorcycles and cooling fan fuses that keep blowing. This was filmed a while ago, after I received the dreaded 'Error Fan 18.2" warning on my 2009 Ducati 848; the video has been on the 'back burner' awaiting some final edits.

After going through some initial troubleshooting steps in this video I actually thought my fan issue was resolved until another electrical problem cropped up a couple of days later (some of you can probably guess what this was)...

The video is fairly basic and designed for new motorcyclists with little to no troubleshooting skills and/or experience. It can also be viewed as a refresher for those of us who have never dealt with this specific problem--or have not had to deal with it in a while...

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw11Onl7OLQ

Full URL: https://youtu.be/kw11Onl7OLQ

As always fantastic video, quick question. Since it was a bad rectifier, were you getting dash systems like the back light display and or head lights not working?

Also do you have a lithium battery?

My rectifier went out I was having light issues. I replaced with a Ricks https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/l/rectifier-regulators

They have two types one for standard batteries one for lithium. I’ve wondered if my lithium battery fried it eventually.

#3 ·
Thanks T... Yes, the dash started acting up after I replaced the fan fuse. If you look close near the end of the video (around 9:35 when the pop-up describing the final outcome is on the screen), you can see the dash flickering on and off in the background, as well as the "BATT" message and the high voltage spikes in action. This is a classic 'telltale' sign that the reg-rec is bad and that's when I knew for sure the source of the problem.

Regarding the headlights, this bike was set up as a track bike (headlights removed) when this occurred. However, when they were previously installed I did experience some flickering there, too. Back then I attributed it to the corroded/melted connection between the stator and regulator-rectifier and hard-wired them together. It went back together as a track bike (without headlights), so that early warning sign was inadvertently removed from the picture, I suppose. I did not notice any additional signs of a problem until the fan fuse blew a few months later after the completion of several track days.

I do have a Shorai lithium battery--I'm not sure if that could be a contributing factor or not... I bet Shazaam or Pat would know, though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.