Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a fairly light track day schedule this year when compared to 2014, but I recently went to the New York Safety Track for the very first time. This track is freakin amazing! I watched a few videos of other riders there before I went, and no video can prepare you for the elevation and camber changes all throughout this track. It is hands-down the most technical track that I have ever ridden on. I'm hooked on this track and will be going back for more this season.

Here's a video that I put together that covers our day. I included an intro and an overview of the track, along with two full laps...

Enjoy:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
18 turns in 2.1 miles?? Damn!! That's a lot of turns....but what's with the dotted line in the middle of the straight?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
18 turns in 2.1 miles?? Damn!! That's a lot of turns....but what's with the dotted line in the middle of the straight?
Yes a lot of turns--so in addition to being a technical track, it's also a 'physical' track, as well. I was definitely feeling it at the end of the day.

Regarding the dotted lines on the front straight, it also serves as an active runway for small aircraft. I believe the track owner has a small Cessna, and if you're a rider and flyer, you can call ahead to schedule a landing to fly in for your track day...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the vid. This track looks unreal. A few of us here in Canada have gone to NH with Tony's Track Days.

We were really looking forward to this one but TTD took it out of the schedule. If I remember correctly they had some issues with noise laws?

·
Registered
8 Posts
That track is sick, Ive been twice this year, the fist time there were only about 30 ppl riding. So we all did 30 sessions! takes a lot out of you physically. Was so tired by the end of the day. Awesome track for sure!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nyst is amazing the track sticks like glue and the dotted line is for a few things small plans can land and slow riders are told to stay to the right and faster riders pass to the left there was two really bad crashes last year with riders go full bore right into a bike in front of them

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the vid. This track looks unreal. A few of us here in Canada have gone to NH with Tony's Track Days.

We were really looking forward to this one but TTD took it out of the schedule. If I remember correctly they had some issues with noise laws?
Coop, I believe there was a local issue--or a few local residents who opposed the track opening early on, but those issues appear to be history. I believe the track has been 'up and running' for a couple of years now with no problems. And regarding the schedule, that's one of the things that I see so appealing about this place: They're open for motorcycle riding just about every single weekend during riding season. If there's not an organization renting the facility (i.e. TPM last weekend), they pretty much run their own track days. They keep an updated schedule at nyst.com.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Coop, I believe there was a local issue--or a few local residents who opposed the track opening early on, but those issues appear to be history. I believe the track has been 'up and running' for a couple of years now with no problems. And regarding the schedule, that's one of the things that I see so appealing about this place: They're open for motorcycle riding just about every single weekend during riding season. If there's not an organization renting the facility (i.e. TPM last weekend), they pretty much run their own track days. They keep an updated schedule at nyst.com.
Thanks for the heads up. I have to make this happen. It is a bit of a trip for us living in NB Canada but it looks to be well worth it.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Charles, now you have to experience the exact opposite and do the large course (Donnybrooke) at BIR in MN. It's 3.1 miles with only 10 turns and half of those turns are pretty fast, including the fastest turn in the US (from what I was told....it's a 6th gear turn even on a big bike). The really fast guys there average over 105 mph in a lap. I'm slow and don't have a 180-200 hp bike like some of those guys so my average speed was only in the low 90s but still....insanely fast track!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I have to make this happen. It is a bit of a trip for us living in NB Canada but it looks to be well worth it.
It's quite a haul for us Ohio based riders, too (6.5-7 hour drive). Since they have a riding event just about every weekend, and a bike storage program, I'm considering dropping my bike there for a few weeks and popping in for 3-4 track days between now and the end of the season. This way I could fit my work around my riding schedule instead if the other way around!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Charles, now you have to experience the exact opposite and do the large course (Donnybrooke) at BIR in MN. It's 3.1 miles with only 10 turns and half of those turns are pretty fast, including the fastest turn in the US (from what I was told....it's a 6th gear turn even on a big bike). The really fast guys there average over 105 mph in a lap. I'm slow and don't have a 180-200 hp bike like some of those guys so my average speed was only in the low 90s but still....insanely fast track!
This sounds like a fun track, I will check it out. Excluding the length (and maybe track condition), it also sounds like my local track, Nelson Ledges. It's 2 miles, but fast. Similar speeds as Donnybrooke: Fast guys averaging low 100s, but I'm somewhere in the lower 90s. I'll have to check how far away BIR is from Northeast Ohio!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
This sounds like a fun track, I will check it out. Excluding the length (and maybe track condition), it also sounds like my local track, Nelson Ledges. It's 2 miles, but fast. Similar speeds as Donnybrooke: Fast guys averaging low 100s, but I'm somewhere in the lower 90s. I'll have to check how far away BIR is from Northeast Ohio!
It's Minnesota...it's far from just about anywhere! haha

If you ever make it there, try and see if you can go to one of the ZARS events where they run the short course on the first day and long course the next day. Makes it more worth it and there's more to learn and enjoy that way. Almost the entire track has been repaved a couple of years ago so it's very smooth.

Reactions: ANORXIC'51

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's Minnesota...it's far from just about anywhere! haha

Man you're right about that... it looks like a 14-hour drive from NE Ohio. Two days to get there, two days on track and two days to get back home. I'll have to think about that one. It looks like a fun track, though.

Anyway, back to NYST, I wanted to share a cool drone video of NYST that I found today... I do not know the video creator, but I like it. I talked with a guy who had one of these at my local track back in June and was surprised to learn that some of these (the one he had), has a range of about 1 mile. I might try to link up with one of these guys for a joint-video one day...

Enjoy:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Nice! That looks like it's in a really nice area too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.