Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up for the Grand Course at VIR in October and was wondering if anyone else is going to sign up? This is very limited chance to ride the Grand Course. The only opportunity this year. Also heading down for 2 days of the North and Full Courses in September for the Ducati event. Hope to see some of you there.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
BEST track ever on East Coast man!
So many great memories there and actually the first place I crashed, twice too!
No doubt in my military mind this was a HUGE HUGE loss to AMA and many other race organizations by dropping events there due to those controversial things they installed on some of those corners for cars! What a bummer for big name racing there and then there was the time VIR got too greedy for their own good and wanted to run ALL merchandising and vendor stuff to take over the company that did it for years!

Enjoy yourself and ride safe man! Don't forget that if ya need a place to stay the night they have those fantastic suites above the garage section which are really sweet and couldn't be a nicer place to stay close to your bike and track! Those garages are kept so clean you could eat off the floors too! Best wishes Summits!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is by far my favorite track that I've been to. I have doing at least 4 track days a year there for the last 4 years. I've dropped about 20 seconds off my lap times from the first trip down there. Hoping to get in the 30's this fall. The paddock suites and garages are a must. I have stayed at the lodge when the suites fill up, which has nicer rooms and a nice front porch but you have to drive 5 minutes back and forth from the pits. They just finished repaving when I was down in April and the surface was immaculate. The entire complex is amazing. There's a reason they call it the country club!

Reactions: Gunny Fitz

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yep! Hopefully they don't fill up before I get to CSS next month at VIR, I can't sign up for this until I have that certificate. Separate but related, but anyone doing the MAD Ducati days in September? I will be there as well, it will be my first track day, so I'm excited.

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have never been to the track you have to sign up as a beginner. No certificate needed. You need proof of racing license to be in the advanced group, or get bumped up. The 2-day April and September Ducati track days are run by Cornerspeed and as a beginner you will get a free class in between track sessions. Beginners have minimal track prep as well. They are one of the safest track day organizations, if not THE safest. A lot less riders in each group than other organizations and most of the instructors/ control riders are racers, ex racers. Great group of guys, guaranteed you will come back for more!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
+1 above.
Aaron Stevenson runs a great school and truly "teaches" you instead of just throwing new riders out there on their own, with control riders just getting track time. Quality.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice! Yeah looking at all these different track day requirements it seemed to be a common theme that you have to show what school you've been to, so that's why I figured even for beginners you need to show it. I might just go ahead and sign up for it now then to avoid the risk of it filling up. I just joined MAD Ducati last week but it doesn't appear that they are doing a discount on their track day in Sept, so I will probably just go ahead and register for that one as well -- as a beginner that MAD event seems to be very beginner friendly, plus it will be nice to meet all the other local Duc owners. The cost to get on the track, starting from a stop and not having any of the gear, is larger than I thought. I'll be the guy with the rented U-Haul trailer since the purchase of my own 6x10 is going to have to wait til this winter! I'm really excited though man -- I just have to get the suspension settings sorted out on my "new" 999 in the next couple weeks before CSS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm an 'a' rider in Roger Lyles org... Can I show proof of that and not ride beginner? I used to race CCS but that was 2004 and I have no clue where my license is and if that would even be accepted.

Also as a side note, can my friend who rides a Gixxer ride on ducati days?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'll be the guy with the rented U-Haul trailer since the purchase of my own 6x10 is going to have to wait til this winter!
You wont be the only guy for sure!

Also, keep an eye on Craigslist, and look for Jet ski trailers... I put a wood deck on one and welded it shut (so it wouldnt open at the hinge)- works great.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm an 'a' rider in Roger Lyles org... Can I show proof of that and not ride beginner? I used to race CCS but that was 2004 and I have no clue where my license is and if that would even be accepted.

I don't know the answer to your first question, but I know for sure that even the MAD Ducati event next week is open to anyone, it's just hosted by a Ducati club. Any bikes are welcome. Likewise, the Grand Course in October is not affiliated with any club, so it's open to anyone as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You wont be the only guy for sure!

Also, keep an eye on Craigslist, and look for Jet ski trailers... I put a wood deck on one and welded it shut (so it wouldnt open at the hinge)- works great.
Since that last post I found a sweet setup, a nice 6x12 enclosed light-duty (only 3000 lb gross weight). So I'm ready to go, I'll have everything red -- red truck, red trailer, red bike, red leathers. I didn't plan all that, I swear, I just got a good deal on the leathers and a good deal on the trailer!

·
Registered
886 Posts

If corner speed is still the same way it was years ago, probably not. Some friends and myself held WERA license's and Aaron still wanted us to take his nearly $400 school to be able to do track days with corner speed. That's the reason we stopped doing their days. It is was run pretty well though. The track is pretty nice with the new pavement, and the fully paved north paddock is a major improvement. Feels like most of the breaking bumps from the cars are gone now, feels pretty smooth. Just be prepared for heat, been so hot here the last few days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts