·
Court Jester
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Congrats!

A lot of people put too much emphasis on getting knee down and not enough emphasis on proper body position. You see guys pointing their knee's out, but still stuck like glue to the seat. Lots of lean angle and not much control. Just be careful in your quest. It takes time to put the pieces together. I've seen more beginners stuck in the air fences with scratched up knee pucks then completely worn ones. ;)

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
As if..... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Congrats, TChase,.... that is sooo much fun!!!

Reactions: Tchase

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Congrats! Feel good when you get to that point the first time....then the learning starts!

I remember my first knee touch down...it was rubbish....was doing exactly what Tye said, because I was trying too hard, thinking that if the knee is on the ground, I must be going fast. Boy was I wrong...I'm about 15-17 seconds a lap faster now and I barely ever touch my knee on the ground. And I still have a long ways to go to catch up to the fast guys!

Reactions: Tchase and 219R

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I pretty much use them as a gauge as to where I'm at, leaning wise that is. While setting up for a corner and leaning off, I usually get the same result or close to it and then lift them slightly. That pretty much tells me if I'm being consistent or I'm off. That's me though.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I do it when I know the camera guy is @ that corner!! Other wise I just hang off enough to get the bike more vertical to safely get back on the gas. Makes for cool photos though!!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Last year a buddy and I were stopped on Angeles Crest Hwy taking a break and once we had the bikes running and ready to take off, a dude went flying past us on a white 848 and we looked at each other, nodded "sweet" and took off. We caught up to him quickly and dude was moving along pretty damn fast, not as fast as our normal 'asshole' pace but he was moving. I immediately noticed that he never moved off the seat and he also never even stretched his leg out. He HAD to be scraping his pegs. So I of course backed off because I didn't want to push him or especially watch him die. Sure enough, right when we backed off, he went wide, went in between the white line and the mountain and ran over some serious shit and rocks bouncing and bucking all over and I thought he was history. He was probably going 80-90mph when this happened. Somehow, he held on, made his way back onto the road and went wide ALL THE WAY TO THE OTHER WHITE LINE and then slowed to a stop. I got off and came up to him, both his tires were flat, both wheels taco'ed. I asked if he was ok and he had headphones in and didn't know we were behind him. Dude was shaking, big time... His tires were worn to the edge. I mean to the edge. Delicately, I told him that he'd cheated death (obviously) and that in the future he'd need to learn how to ride right. We exchanged numbers and once I got back into town I sent a tow truck his way. He called to confirm that he was alright but I never heard from him again.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Absolutely!!!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Whats crazy is the big picture I still am missing pieces and the ones I have are not locked in.
There are a lot of bad habits formed from street riding. It could take years of practice to break all of them and form new proper track habits. There is no way in two or five or ten track days you'll be able to conquer those things. The puzzle is so huge, at this point you're only scratching the surface (literally and figuratively). Even after three years of riding year-round on the track, there are still many things I'm missing. When your quick, you can feel them and compensate. When your just starting, you feel things and you don't know how to interpret the data.

My suggestion… education! Keith Code Twist of the Wrist I and II. Read them over and over again until you understand every single concept. Then maybe a class or two in the dry, going over the basics. I find once I can wrap my head around a concept, its a lot easier to apply it.

The good news is, anyone can go quick on a superbike. It just takes time, money and patients.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wish we all lived within 20 miles of each other. Then I'd come take pictures of you superstars all weekend, try not to punch two of you and buy you all a beer at the end of it.
What? Sounds perfect to me :)

bedtime ;)

XIM loves a good reach-round. Giggles like a schoolgirl.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Last year a buddy and I were stopped on Angeles Crest Hwy taking a break and once we had the bikes running and ready to take off, a dude went flying past us on a white 848 and we looked at each other, nodded "sweet" and took off. We caught up to him quickly and dude was moving along pretty damn fast, not as fast as our normal 'asshole' pace but he was moving. I immediately noticed that he never moved off the seat and he also never even stretched his leg out. He HAD to be scraping his pegs. So I of course backed off because I didn't want to push him or especially watch him die. Sure enough, right when we backed off, he went wide, went in between the white line and the mountain and ran over some serious shit and rocks bouncing and bucking all over and I thought he was history. He was probably going 80-90mph when this happened. Somehow, he held on, made his way back onto the road and went wide ALL THE WAY TO THE OTHER WHITE LINE and then slowed to a stop. I got off and came up to him, both his tires were flat, both wheels taco'ed. I asked if he was ok and he had headphones in and didn't know we were behind him. Dude was shaking, big time... His tires were worn to the edge. I mean to the edge. Delicately, I told him that he'd cheated death (obviously) and that in the future he'd need to learn how to ride right. We exchanged numbers and once I got back into town I sent a tow truck his way. He called to confirm that he was alright but I never heard from him again.
Amazing that he kept it up through all of that...don't think i've ever heard of anyone bust both wheels and bend both rims without crashing! Lucky bastard, but he needs to learn how to ride before pretending to be Rossi on a public road.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
There are a lot of bad habits formed from street riding. It could take years of practice to break all of them and form new proper track habits. There is no way in two or five or ten track days you'll be able to conquer those things.
You'd be surprised...for most people, yeah you're probably right, but some people are just naturally talented. I know a few people that put down faster lap times after just several track days, than I ever have, and I've done over 20 so far. And yes, that pisses me off :p

1 - 20 of 148 Posts