Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am interested in buying a 796 Monster as my first bike. Had a ride and felt excellent.

My two biggest concerns are:

1. The closest ducati dealership is 3 hrs from my home, is this going to be an issue? Many friends recommended that ducati's are high maintanence and so I probably should give up on the idea as i dont have anything close by.

2. Cost of maintanence, is it too much? esp if I have to drive 3 hrs to get oil change, its gonna be a headache.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Well of you like the ride of a ducati. Your not going to find that same feel in any other bike. 3 hours does seem a little far to drive. But other than my first maintenance I have not returned to my dealer. An oil change can be done by any dealership there's no need to go straight to ducati. I change all fluids myself. Being on a monster it should be easier since there is no body panels to remove. I have found most motocycle shops charge about the same rate an hour. the bikes due require maintenance like cam belts and valve adjustments. But they are spread out along the life of the bike. Unless you can ride year long or plan on putting more than 7500 miles a year, you shouldn't need to visit the ducati dealer more than twice a year.
In the event that something breaks a new ducati comes with roadside assistance. So you just call and they come pick your bike up and take it to the dealer. No three hour drive unless they make you pick it up.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Well...I actually have a local dealership as well but go to a different one that is about 150 miles away (equals to 2.5 hours)....so...yes...it's not the best but I make a day trip out of it...and it's worthwhile since these guys are great....

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree with Duka. If you like the Ducati you're not going to get the same ride as you would on another. When I was in NC I drove 4 hours to the dealer. The only time it became an issue was the first service. I bought it and had to bring it back the following weekend to get the service. Other than that I haven't had an issue yet. I'm movinng to Louisiana in a few months and will have to drive to either New Orleans or Houston for the closest dealer. I'm fine with it but I don't have any issue with either bike.

Its all about what you really want. The short drive to the dealer or the best ride. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Monsters aren't nearly as expensive to maintain as the 4-valve superbikes, so you should be OK. Maintenance intervals are something like 7500 miles. It's amazing how many Ducati "experts" are out there who have never owned a Ducati...:rolleyes:

If it's what you want, definitely get it; you can buy something cheaper... but it would be a waste of money IMO. If it's not what you want and motorcycles are just toys, why buy a toy you don't want? Go big or go home.:naughty:

It will be more expensive to fix than a UJM if/when you drop it though.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do the same thing as ASM... I have a local shop in Harrisburg PA where I bought my 848evo thats maybe ten minutes away but drive all the way to Winchester VA which is about 2.5 hours to have my service work done. I have owned other jap bikes before but there is nothing quite like a Duck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also, should I get one with or without ABS?
Non ABS is only on the older 2011 models, these are the ones sold in 2010 with showa forks. You can only get a 796 with ABS standard on all new models.
Go for one with ABS, safety should never take a back seat.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I have a local shop in Harrisburg PA where I bought my 848evo thats maybe ten minutes away but drive all the way to Winchester VA which is about 2.5 hours to have my service work done.
I know exactly which shop you ride to and also which one you're avoiding.;)

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
I think I need to avoid my closest one as well, where is the one in Winchester? It might be worth the 2 1/2 hr run for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Monsters aren't nearly as expensive to maintain as the 4-valve superbikes, so you should be OK. Maintenance intervals are something like 7500 miles. It's amazing how many Ducati "experts" are out there who have never owned a Ducati...
my monster is a 4 valve superbike
S4Rs

·
Registered
4,317 Posts

·
Registered
4,317 Posts

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Thanx! I sorta have my drothers about Penn states shop. Nice enough people, don't get me wrong, but a little iffy on the tech side.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
My lady bought a 2011 796 ABS. We put Termi slip-ons on it and I fell in love. It handles great and takes the city traffic like a dream. Sounds amazing and gets low when you get in the canyons or on the track.

I highly recommend this bike to anyone interested in it.

ABS is standard, but would be worth every extra penny anyway. The ABS works very well and you'll barely notice it until you really need it. I ride hard and I tested the brakes on many occasions... pleasantly surprised- adds a lot of control when you need to stop quick.

Service intervals are every 7500 miles now with a basic oil change in between if you want to properly care for your bike. You won't spend real money on a service until you hit 15K so let the stress of the service part go. Just keep a little money set aside as you get close to the services.

• 600 mile service
$240 max

This is the point where you would add an exhaust and your dealer would adjust any finite details on the bike. You only need this once, then you can start the following rotation:

-------

• 3750 mile oil change
$200 max (do it yourself)

• 7500 mile service
$450-650 max

• 11250 mile oil change
$200 max (do it yourself)

• 15000 mile service
$750-1100 max
this is due to belts, valve adjustment, fluid flush/ replacement, etc.

------

And then start all over again...

Looks like this with different mirrors:

Reactions: sql-lover
1 - 15 of 15 Posts