Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hay friends,

Anyone has an idea about some places/websites selling low millage with a good condition 1198 engines? OR any one here could either offer me one?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Reactions: mazen

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would go with the 2nd engine Proct listed if it was me.

And I was just using your bike pictures on a search engine last night to line up decals on my new belly pan. Cause my bike is white with a CF bottom. And your bike was the best example I could find.:blind: It worked out great.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
And I was just using your bike pictures on a search engine last night to line up decals on my new belly pan.
Every time I read your threads or posts seems like the parts and accessories purchases continue..

Must be nice, salute :friday:

Reactions: cul8er

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Jesus those engines are expensive. I really hope mine doesn't take a shit anytime soon, or I'll be down for a long time. I bought a fully functional in great condition '06 CBR600 track bike in 2013 for the same price as that first engine you listed above! Why did I get myself into one of the expensive brands? :eek:....1000cc I4 Japanese engines go for like $800-$1500 used depending on age and mileage.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Every time I read your threads or posts seems like the parts and accessories purchases continue..

Must be nice, salute :friday:

:D. lol, for real though I just picked up the shift tech 1-piece on ebay for 320$ shipped brand new dude still had in the box with packaging/wrapping. A deal to good to pass up.

Any consolation I can't afford a TTXgp shock till my TR's come in :p

I did however spend 35 dollars on decals :jerkoff: And spend all last night and soon to be tonight, looking for the best placement:confused: and applying them on said belly pan.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Jesus those engines are expensive. I really hope mine doesn't take a shit anytime soon, or I'll be down for a long time. I bought a fully functional in great condition '06 CBR600 track bike in 2013 for the same price as that first engine you listed above! Why did I get myself into one of the expensive brands? :eek:....1000cc I4 Japanese engines go for like $800-$1500 used depending on age and mileage.

I have only been looking at them for the last 6 months but I thought high 2's low-mid 3's were the norm? maybe not.

Shit I bought a Ducati because of the resale value. hahahahahahahaha. O-wait,, not funny. But still better then a I4.

And after Andrew848's(engine) thread and emailing to Marc I feel better about the bearings in the 1198.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I have only been looking at them for the last 6 months but I thought high 2's low-mid 3's were the norm? maybe not.

Shit I bought a Ducati because of the resale value. hahahahahahahaha. O-wait,, not funny. But still better then a I4.

And after Andrew848's(engine) thread and emailing to Marc I feel better about the bearings in the 1198.
Yeah I think it is the norm, that was my point...the norm is expensive compared to the Japanese counterparts! lol

2 less cylinders, but they cost more...make sense? :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
^ Yeah that is true it has to be the low production figures that tie into that $amount .

That is compared to I4's

·
Registered
438 Posts
Cause not all Japanese is cheap. my Do-Luck front bumper on my 06 Z cost almost 2k. of course it did have get transported by cargo ship in a container.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Cause not all Japanese is cheap. my Do-Luck front bumper on my 06 Z cost almost 2k. of course it did have get transported by cargo ship in a container.
Was that OEM and brand new?

Because if you buy OEM parts from Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, etc, that shit's expensive too. But on the used market, they get cheap as hell. When I had the CBR 600, I joined the 600rr forum and every now and then I would look in the classifieds. I saw people selling entire body work sets used but in excellent condition for like $500!! With 848/1x98, you'd be lucky if to find that for 1500...usually more than that, and if you include tank you'll never find a complete set for under $2000. Usually a tail fairing sells for close to $500, used but in great condition, for our bikes :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Was that OEM and brand new?

Because if you buy OEM parts from Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda, etc, that shit's expensive too. But on the used market, they get cheap as hell. When I had the CBR 600, I joined the 600rr forum and every now and then I would look in the classifieds. I saw people selling entire body work sets used but in excellent condition for like $500!! With 848/1x98, you'd be lucky if to find that for 1500...usually more than that, and if you include tank you'll never find a complete set for under $2000. Usually a tail fairing sells for close to $500, used but in great condition, for our bikes :D
Do-Luck
Brand new carbon and fibreglass. Lighter and stronger then oem. Do-luck along with Top Secret are a go to for higher end Tuner body parts. Or were in 06-10 it's been a couple of years since I was really into it. The price you paid for those was money saved at the bodyshop. I seen a carbon creations body kit have more then 20 hours and it still didn't fit right

I guess that wasn't a good comparison seeing how those 2 company's(DL&TS) are made to order parts only.

I do see what your saying though. It's noticeable when going on CL in MPLS. and seeing mint 05-6-7's 600rr's and r6's selling for around or under 5k.

But as far as what it sold for used. You really can't go by that though cause a lot of people probably bought the Duc brand new or lightly used, to track only and sold the body pieces off to help fund for track parts.

Then a guy(s) that thinks they could be sitting on a gold mine picks up said body parts for $500 and sits on them while bring the price up to almost oem prices 1500$. And it starts a ripple affect. now everybody want xxxx for there's to.

But he's a Businessman... I guess...

Ok I didn't read your response right Rub. forget you read those last 2 kind of paragraphs:blind:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ok better retort here. Not all Ducati parts sell for more. Base model suspension sells for around the same price as I4 parts of the same year. I guess there are all Showa's though. So again bad example. Ok I am going to bow out now.. It's passed my bed time.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Ok better retort here. Not all Ducati parts sell for more. Base model suspension sells for around the same price as I4 parts of the same year. I guess there are all Showa's though. So again bad example. Ok I am going to bow out now.. It's passed my bed time.
I get your point though, and you're right. They don't all sell for more...just the important stuff (engine, frame, dash, etc....stuff you can't really replace with aftermarket stuff)! Stock mufflers for our bikes don't even sell for $100, but they cost a fortune brand new if you were to order them from Ducati. Just one of many examples. It's those items that everyone upgrades from that doesn't sell for shit because there is such a large surplus of it. A Showa shock might sell for $200 if you're lucky, but an Ohlins TTX will sell in a day for $800 easily!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Definitely just had my engine torn apart for the bearings, I was told there were just preloaded too tight.. It was rough! I think it might be the luck of the draw I guess.. All in all it cost about the same as a used engine to have it blueprinted at Ducshop, but now mine is good as new for about the same price as a good used engine.. All in, it was a little over $4k.. Helps with the piece of mind, that its got a little warranty now and it was built to better specs then at the factory too..

·
Registered
438 Posts
After a email with Mark over at Ducshop. Those prices go with what he said as far as blueprinting the motor.
At that point It would be hard not to pay more(2K) to get high compression pistons and head work for more horse POWER....

But yeah I want to say Mark told me that if your 1198 is just for street you should be butter. It's only when tracking the 1198 that you have to start worrying about the pre-loaded bearings. The 1198 does however have better bottom bearings then the 848/1098. I think (I think) Mark was talking about a track only and not 1 that went to the track a couple times a year.

But like the DP AL gas tank it's piece of mind like you said. 1 less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Was that amount more parts than labor? ..
Naw man, he has it all posted on his website, including cosy to take out and install engine.. the blueprint was 2.9k without parts and taking out installing engine was about 600 bucks.. a little over 800 in parts.. I also had a slipper installed and Samco hoses too, but that was practically included.. everything was quite reasonable too.. pics were sent of the failed components and his "engine room, was out of control with how organized it was.. It was just a very humbling experience..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts