Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Shit - that's not good. Where was the magnet? It could easily have attached to something rotating in there.

:(

Have you notified the supplier or manufacturer?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would have thought a better design is perhaps a hole through the magnet and a roll pin through the plug, through the magnet. Or thread the magnet, thread the inside drain plug and use some insane loctite that cannot be removed.

guess they just push them in there and hope they never come lose?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the same one in the shed ,I didn't like the look of the glue when I got it so never fitted it , looking at yours my judgement was correct , glad to see it didn't grenade out of your engine .:bawling:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shit - that's not good. Where was the magnet? It could easily have attached to something rotating in there.

:(

Have you notified the supplier or manufacturer?
It was still in the bung when I removed it but the magnet fell out when I placed the bung on a paper towel. Looking back through receipts to find out where I bought it from.I know I did not get it of ebay or that it is a cheap copy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looks like the magnet was pressed into a plastic sleeve inside the plug and relied only on interference in the plastic sleeve to hold it in. I'm not saying it is or isn't a CD part but whoever designed this piece of crap should be :rlwhore:

·
Registered
133 Posts
If your looking for a replacement, I use the Magnetic Oil Drain Plug from the M3 BMW. Way cheaper than the Ducati one's .

Rick

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the TPO bolt and the magnet is a little loose.
That settles it then, as I'm definitely checking it when I get home. I'll get myself some high strength, permanent fit Loctite (the gap filling type) and see how that goes. Mind you, I may be asking for a response back from TPO and their suppliers in regards to a poorly assembled product.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you peel back the epoxy I'm guessing your find the magnet is setting inside a thin plastic insert inside the plug. This a short-cut engineering method to minimize tolerance variations and still make things fit. The only thing really holding it in is the epoxy around the magnet and on the face of the plug, not much. Better to pull that cheap piece of plastic out and fill the thing with JB weld. IMO not worth the risk.

I bought one similar from TPO Parts. Must check it when I'm back from working overseas.

In the site photo it looks like a resin compund (I can see an air bubble in the compound) and not plastic is securing the magnet in place?

https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_47&product_id=10

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the TPO plug. Wouldn't the Gauze Filter + the Oil filter trap that before it got anywhere really bad? Not that having a rare earth magnet stuck on the side of some piece of metal in your engine would be a good thing (LOL) I just can find a good image of how oil circulates through the engine. Great, dont I have enough to worry about? A failing economy, Russian bombers near Alaska, Ebola, Gaza, Kim Kardashian and now an oil drain plug to worry about!

·
Read Only
2,524 Posts
You can talk all day about it, fix it, mod or make excuses. The fact is, that it is a piece of crap and not worth the risk. ^^

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had an oil drain plug just like that. When I installed it I torqued to factory spec (20nm); when I reached 20 I thought I felt a 'slip', and sure enough when it was time for the next oil change it was stripped out. I then learned that the correct torque for this aftermarket drain plug is 14nm.

I got it out and put the stock one back in and ordered one of these from Sato Racing (SATO RACING | Oil Drain Bolt - Ducati - Bimota). I like the wall thickness on the head on this one much better.

It's a different brand and style, but now I'm gonna double-check the magnet before installation. Thanks for posting.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts