Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to wash your bike and then wax it? Thinking soap/wax as well as cloths.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Typically if I am going to do a really good wax job, I will use Dawn dish soap. That will help to get all the extra grime off that typical car wash soap doesn't. Dawn will also help to strip any of the old wax that is on there. Then use what ever you are comfortable with for waxing. Zymol, Mequiers, Turtle, etc., etc. Just do it in the shade and make sure your bike is nice and cool.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wash = bucket of hot as I can stand tap water and a microfiber.

Wash before a polishing I'll use dawn dish soap as stated above, strips old wax and other surface contaminants. Followed by a clay bar if the surface is displaying a drag or anything.

Zaino, yeah it can be a pain to do if you don't get the accelerator, but after using this stuff for a few years, I just can't feel right recommending anything else. Z-2Pro, ZFX, Z-CS.

B/w polishes, Honda Spray Polish.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Never get them dirty enough for a bucket wash, use this spray detailer every time before and after I ride on both the Duc and the HD, perfect before and after the ride. Automotive glass cleaner on the screens.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just use Honda spray (or whatever it's called now that Honda stopped making it) and have never washed any of my bikes with water.

Plexus on the windscreen...

·
Registered
873 Posts
On side note, when I run out of Zaino, I use Zymol.

As for washing with water.. The 1098 being my primary source of transportation, I ride in thunderstorms (monday was a flashflood which was pretty scary) rain or shine. I have to ride down about 1/2 mi of gravel/dirt/compact road for work as well. Only time I use any soap is to strip it once a year.

Honda still makes the Polish also. They did cease production for a little bit, but then started right back up. Every trip to the dealer I pick up 1-3cans regardless if I'm out or not :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
On side note, when I run out of Zaino, I use Zymol.

As for washing with water.. The 1098 being my primary source of transportation, I ride in thunderstorms (monday was a flashflood which was pretty scary) rain or shine. I have to ride down about 1/2 mi of gravel/dirt/compact road for work as well. Only time I use any soap is to strip it once a year.

Honda still makes the Polish also. They did cease production for a little bit, but then started right back up. Every trip to the dealer I pick up 1-3cans regardless if I'm out or not :)

Interesting maybe I need to go check my local honda shop. This is the stuff I ordered online..."New Dimension"

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Next_Dimension_Spray_Cleaner_Polish--619842.html

·
Registered
873 Posts
j1001300, I know the "Original" relabeled can is the same stuff. I know it was being taken off the shelves about 18mo ago, then sometime b/w there and a few months ago its reappeared. At Fay Myers in Denver, they sell the big 4 Japanese, Aprilia, Ducati and KTM. Sitting on the shelf is a few rows of Honda and maybe 2x that much of the Original polish spray cans. I love this stuff. I'm heading back up tomorrow morning, after I get off work and will be grabbing a few more cans.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Definitely Zaino I've been using it for years on my Firehawk. The great thing about Zaino is that it layers and the more layers you add the better the vechicle will look.

I have gone to the track with my Firehawk and got rubber on the body of it and it was very easy to clean off with just the detail spray.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use Crystal glow, it's easy on easy off and the more you use it the thicker the acrylic coating or so it claims. I use a spray bottle of distilled water and micro fiber to clean the bike that way it doesnt leave water spots.

I been using crystalglow for a couple years now on my cars and bike and I am amazed that nothing stick on to it. and it is plastic and metal safe (wont leave the white stuff on non-painted parts, even the rubber parts.

you guys should check it out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just got done washing, cleaning and waxing my Desmo with one of the high-end Zymol waxes. The first coat of wax looked good.. but the brilliance comes through from the second coat and thereafter.

Its actually easier then how i've been waxing in the past.. with other waxes you wait some minutes until the wax starts to have a haze look to it.. i was just assuming that was the correct way with the zymol all these years! but just after between 30-60 seconds after applying it should be rubbed off. I figured it would be best to go over my detailing skills with Zymol directly today.

So far i've applied two coats and it does indeed have a brilliant glow to it.
I have not tried Mothers in years and never tried Zaino or Crystal glow.
But i'm really happy with my Zymol and have no intention of ever changing unless the result is proven to be better.

okie dokie.. my 0.75cents

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The way that you keep a paint finish looking new is to have a cleaning routine that avoids scratching the surface. The best cleaner/wax to use is the one that has the finest abrasives and the deepest shine. I haven't tried them all, but I always go back to the plain, green inexpensive liquid Turtle Wax. It may not last as long through washings but I think it shines the best. Everyone has a favorite, that's mine.

But, the key to a mirror shine is the removal of fine hairline scratches, the ones you can see only in the bright sunlight. These are the ones you've put there when you've rubbed grime across the paint surface when you wash or clean the bike, or just simply rubbed against it. Just wiping the dust off the bike with a clean cloth will cause them. Your wash rag is the major source of the problem, so start your wash from the top and work down toward the dirtier surfaces. Rinse a lot.

The key to a museum-quality shine is in the technique used in the application of the cleaner and wax. In particular, you need to avoid making more fine scratches as you clean and polish-out the old ones. So to save you the time, here comes the tip from 40 years of experience...

THE TIP
The key to removing hairline scratches and swirls is a soft clean applicator for your favorite product. This is best applicator I've found.

Tear off a small piece, wet it with water, and squeeze it till it's only damp (important). Now, use it to apply your favorite cleaner or wax. Tease it apart frequently to reveal a fresh clean cotton matte surface, and throw it away when it gets slightly dirty with any embedded grime (most important). Polish with a well-laundered old cotton T-shirt. The roll of cotton will last for years and so will your new paint.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts