Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Live in NJ and had bike out for ride last week. Still some residual salt on roads, which I wasn't too happy about. In any case, yesterday when I put a new power regulator, noticed some dusty salty residue on the surfaces.

Given all the horror stories, that these Ducs hate water the question is:
Wash? Or Don't wash?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Wash , wash !!! Don't you know water invalidates any warranty no matter what
Just ride it in the front room only that's the best bet

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would not.... if you have a air compressor, blow it with air.

·
Court Jester
12,025 Posts
Wash mine couple times a month the most important thing to do is go for a ride after washing to dry it all out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check out chemicalguys.com the ecosmart waterless wash good stuff!!! It's perfect for those who don't like to take a hose to their bike!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have washed both my Monster 1200S and my 899 with water multiple times. Both have been fine after. I do usually go for a ride after to dry everything I can't get to with a drying cloth.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Take a microfiber cloth, hot water and some decent car soap. Get the cloth soaked and squeeze some of the water out of it. Wipe down, rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
891 Posts
Plug exhaust and intake then dunk in purified water until clean, then gently dry with warm air

·
Registered
12,929 Posts
Wash it....it won't melt. As has been mentioned......after wiping the outside dry...take it for a little ride to steam off water in the little nooks and crannies. Oh......before the ride......clean your chain with WD-40 then go for ride.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wash mine when it needs it. In fact over the winter while doing upgrades I wanted it to shine like the day it came from the factory. So I took all fairings off (including the front), rear wheel and tank. I covered the LCD and a few unplugged connectors. I used Honda brite degreaser on the entire bike. Pressure washed the entire bike, even through the oil cooler and radiator. Used my air compressor to blow off as much as the water as I could and then let the engine steam off the rest. All fairings were degreased and then polished with the good ole Honda spray. Bike almost looked new even after a few seasons of seeing rain and road crap, etc.

As long as you're not an idiot about washing your bike, there's nothing wrong with it. Protect unprotected connectors and dry anything not aluminum quickly to prevent rusting. This includes the frame tubes.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Once it's clean try going over it with Speed Wax. It was mentioned somewhere else and I bought a can to try it out (US$10.00). I sprayed a little on an older helmet just to make sure nothing unexpected would happen, then did a tail section. At first it didn't seem to make any difference but then it was noticeably shinier. Little by little I did all the bikes - you just spray a mist on a section then wipe it off. I was so happy I did my entire car with it.

Pjk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts