Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me start by sayng ive used the search, however didnt find the answers i was looking for. So a few weeks back I laid down my bike and the water pump cover got some minor scratches. Now Ive noticed water/ coolant leaking from the upper left bolt area next to the outlet. I know that they use a liquid gasket to seal this if Im not mistaken. I think maybe the impact just jarred it enough to ruin the seal. Is this as easy as I think it will be to fix? What type of coolant should I use to refill and what mix ratio. Its for a 2011 848 EVO

·
Registered
866 Posts
Provided the water pump case itself isn't cracked and the damage is just to the seal, it won't be tough at all. I use the gray permatex liquid gasket stuff you get from autozone for the clutch cover and I've never had any problems with it. As far as coolant goes, I guess it depends whether you spend any time on the track. If yes, distilled water and some water-wetter of some kind. They sell the stuff you need for that at cycle gear and either way, the proper mix ratio will be on the glycol or water wetter container, whichever you choose. Just make sure that what you put in there will be weather proof. I'm assuming it gets below freezing in Kansas.

If the water pump case is cracked, I would just replace it. Get the coolant and gasket maker first, then pull it and see what's up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes my first thought was that I had cracked the cover, however I could not find any damage to it other than the scratches which barely got past the paint. The leak does appear to be from wear the surfaces meet. Thank you for the info. What part of charolette are you from? I used to live out there.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I live pretty close to downtown but I'm not from here. Grew up in Joizeey. And no problemo mang. Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
what thewooginator said. also, getting the pump cover off to redo the gasket might be tough though. be patient and don't use a screwdriver, it will damage the surface you want to seal. find something you can wedge behind the hose connection and push away from the engine. take it slow as there are dowels holding the cover in line. good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so one more quick question. when i remove the water pump cover after i drain the coolant. do i have to replace those two washers? the one is on the coolant drain plug the other is on the third bolt from the bottom on the right side. and what are the torque specs?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
i have found you can get away with not replacing the washers. however, the book does say you have to replace the washer on the drain plug. torque specifications were given in your other thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts