Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove past my 3rd motorcycle wreck in 7 days. Last Saturday a fatality off the Snake and Mullholland. Last Sunday a guy sprawled out in the middle of ACH on his back. He appeared to be alive however. I didn't even see where his bike went. Today another fatality on Angeles Crest. The rumor is he (or she) flung off one of the cliffs. Again I certainly didn't see a bike, just rescuers, repeller's, cops and helicopters. All three incidents have, or will have, me sitting bolt right up in bed at night.

I'm a fairly seasoned, confident rider with 25 years under my belt. I absolutely live for a spirited ride and on the right day both Malibu and ACH are just glorious motorcycle rides. That said, as the years go by and the performance of bikes increases the level of insanity up in these canyons has (at least for me) crossed the line into utter stupidity. I'm positive the sheriff's are gonna come up with some way, somehow to shut ACH down for motorcycles or at least make it exceedingly difficult to continue to pretend it's "track day" up there.

We need to slow it down :(

·
Registered
438 Posts
I CAN'T stand people who feel they have a right to govern my speed that's why we have speed limits.

It's usually from seasoned riders who have gone fast (maybe not as fast) that later on say to themselves ' self I 'm not going to do hamster style anymore... wait wrong saying. But you get what I mean. I think there's a word for that o-yeah hypocrite.

People die people get murdered thats life. I will leave with a less morbid saying. You worry about you and I will worry about me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It's usually inexperience that leads to bad wrecks. A place like ACH is definitely not for the inexperienced. Well, parts of it aren't anyway. I used to take day-trips up to ACH from Vegas when I lived there. Love that route! Some of those corners can bite your ass real quick (and the rock debris too).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I CAN'T stand people who feel they have a right to govern my speed that's why we have speed limits.

It's usually from seasoned riders who have gone fast (maybe not as fast) that later on say to themselves ' self I 'm not going to do hamster style anymore... wait wrong saying. But you get what I mean. I think there's a word for that o-yeah hypocrite.

People die people get murdered thats life. I will leave with a less morbid saying. You worry about you and I will worry about me.
Could you clarify?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
This could get ugly:ahhh:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I can, and I will be civil.

You know I found myself yelling at a kid 2 days ago to get off my lawn... not to long ago(in my head anyway) I was that kid playing on the grass did I care who's grass, no cause I was a kid... see what I am getting at.

That's great that you have sympathy for people dying but it happens alot.

Now I will leave on a morbid thought. there is a saying and it's an old 1.
thinning out the heard. it's rough but that's life man.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Meanwhile at track days....people crash, and they walk away...very rare to see a fatality.

Can't fix stupid...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can, and I will be civil.

You know I found myself yelling at a kid 2 days ago to get off my lawn... not to long ago(in my head anyway) I was that kid playing on the grass did I care who's grass, no cause I was a kid... see what I am getting at.

That's great that you have sympathy for people dying but it happens alot.

Now I will leave on a morbid thought. there is a saying and it's an old 1.
thinning out the heard. it's rough but that's life man.
Yes of course. I indeed see what your getting at. I'm slow but not "that" slow. There again however my post was (at it's core) a "observational sentiment" and utterly and Titanically not a personal directive and even further not a personal directive aimed at you. I am a rider who sadly has happened upon three fatalities in a weeks' period of time. I'm am also human and subject to the knee jerk reactions witnessing someone's death scene can bring forth. I also ride in an area that has become obviously, biblically and needlessly dangerous to all who want to participate In riding in that area.

And so it goes as I sat here this evening, trying gather my thoughts and reel in my emotions regarding the the rather sad witnessing of fatalities, I (perhaps selfishly) felt the need to reach out and articulate.

Perhaps it was simply a matter of being cathartic. Either which way and or, it wasn't about you.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I wasn't attacking you personally or trying to at all. I don't have a problem with you. and I apologise if I did come off that way.

I am just sick of this whole "what about the kids" mentality we've become it's sad really. All this safe guarding is ruining life. look what happen to the NFL.
telling someone to slow down isn't going to prevent death that's just nieve and a waste of time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wasn't attacking you personally or trying to at all. I don't have a problem with you. and I apologise if I did come off that way.

I am just sick of this whole "what about the kids" mentality we've become it's sad really. All this safe guarding is ruining life. look what happen to the NFL.
telling someone to slow down isn't going to prevent death that's just nieve and a waste of time.
No worries. All good!

·
Registered
555 Posts
the problem we are having is that civilization, by its very nature, obstructs the natural selection process.. you want a simple solution... pull down all the speed limit and warning signs, and maybe put up some brake markers. then, if they can't figure it out, with any luck, they won't live long enough to procreate..

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
May I just say: "Well done both of you!" for making your points, stating your somewhat opposing positions, and discussing it like grown ups!

Yes - I sort of agree with both of your standpoints. Particularly since you (OP) had encountered so many serious incidents in one day! More than I've seen in years..

And yes - I am familiar with the canyon roads there, and the bike mentality that prevails there on a sunny weekend, even though I live elsewhere. (A perfect riding environment, but with far fewer riders).

And - like cul8er - I too resent being told to slow down, regardless of the teller's agenda.

A sensitive topic perhaps, on a forum populated by people dedicated to riding their bikes too fast, but definitely worth discussing.

Hopefully without it becoming all ATGATT-obsessed, or unfriendly!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
the problem we are having is that civilization, by its very nature, obstructs the natural selection process.. you want a simple solution... pull down all the speed limit and warning signs, and maybe put up some brake markers. then, if they can't figure it out, with any luck, they won't live long enough to procreate..
A very witty solution, but a bit hard on those whose "ambition outweighs their talent".

Unfortunately the rest of us might be coming the other way at the time..

:(

·
Registered
331 Posts
Last year it seemed like there was a motorcycle crash/fatality every week... 'What? Another one? WTF?' This year is turning out much the same... Have heard of 5 local crashes already this year. One, a 28 year old rider with an M1 riding at night with a passenger. An M1 prohibits the rider to ride at night and carry a passenger. The passenger is a 20 year old female with critical injuries. The 28 year old died at the scene. No alcohol was involved, however witnesses say the bike was travelling at very high speed just prior to the crash...

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
What's an M1?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
What's an M1?
Tiered licensing...M1 is essentially equivalent to our permit. After 60-90 days you pass the test to get an M2. I think after a year or two, you then take the test to get the full M license. There are various limitations on both M1 and M2...

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Interesting...maybe the US should have tiered licensing too.

Reactions: WERA689 and tjs5012

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Same here in DFW...we have at least 1 rider down every week and fatally too. I can't control what others do or don't. But some of these fatal accidents could have been prevented with gears (lost a couple riders who only wore icon armors and/or no helmet at all) some due to speed.

Not gonna lie, hearing that shakes me up a bit even though I always wear full gears. The more I see about these downed riders, the more I just wanna stick to the track tbh.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts