Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
As the title said, I've just noticed a little drip of coolant coming down on the left side of the bike today. Not at the radiator area but right by the vertical head (I've included a picture to show the demonstrated general area.)
The bike as been in heavy traffic one day a couple weeks ago. I did shut it down during long red light just in case it overheats (The bike has correct coolant level)
I am wondering if the vibration of the bike causes the bottom overflow tube loosened.
Thanks for the input
Note: the coolant wasn't shooting out, just a very thin line and very small (not puddle) This is not my bike. Pic just to show the area of the small leak.
Bike is '10 SF S, with 3800 miles.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Maybe… usually leaks like that are something simple like a loose line.

Take your finger and wipe the fittings, you can usually feel of they're wet.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^I'll try..the damn hoses/wirings are everywhere around that section lol.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I know, it's much more busy then it needs to be unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've checked the fitting, nothing was loosened.
Took a better pic of where the leak accumulated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Yes there are a number of hose clamps in this vicinity. You really need to check the tension on all of them. If one is loose, several could be.
This is really just a function of time, or how many times the bike has got hot and cooled down. The extreme heat in traffic could have exacerbated the problem.
And be aware that switching your bike off in that situation actually INCREASES the heat in the system. No coolant movement, no fans - quite risky.
So CAREFULLY check/tighten all the hose clamps. You will need a couple of screwdrivers, a 1/4" drive 7mm socket and a 7mm spanner.
Do this with the engine cold, and do not overtighten them (particularly if using the leverage of a spanner or socket handle) or you may just cut through the hose.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the source..well shit..please tell me this doesnt require replacement of the full tubings lol
Just this small section leaking. Would I be able to tighten this section up? Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Vehicle door Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yea I mean looks like you can tighten it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ the clamp was tight.. the rubber was cracked.
The damn thing with 3 clamps cost me $24 lol.
Went to the local dealer to grab them..tards

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Well, that's not too bad. I was working on an E90 with an N52 in it few weeks ago. Wanted to replace a little harness with 10 cables on it, BMW wanted $650 bux. Had I been able to source the connectors myself, I would have been able to make it in 20 minutes at a cost of about $4 dollars.

So yea… parts pricing, doesn't make too much sense. :(

Glad you figured it out! Just remember, the area is full of coolant!

Reactions: Donger

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, it's winter maintenance season so I might as well drain the coolant and flush the system out.
Still trying to source out the full system's header for the bike...Do not feel like spending $3000 a new system atm..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.