Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys it appears that my 2008 848 w/ 4,000 miles is suffering from the issue of tank expansion. Two years ago the pearl white gas tank was stained beyond repair from fuel/fumes leaking from the gas cap. It leaked onto the tank while sitting in my garage over a hot summer. I repainted the tank professionally and then the fumes came back late last year and delaminated the fresh paint job.

I'm thinking I'd like to sell my 848 and move to a Streetfighter 848 for a more comfy confines so I know I have to get the tank repainted again.

But I'm wondering if you guys think I should try to address the tank expansion issue before I sell it or just repaint it and leave the gas cap open in the garage this spring/summer until I sell it.

Thoughts?

THANK YOU!

matt

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Ducati never came up with a solution for the expanding tanks. They just replaced them with tanks that will expand again.

The only tanks that do not expand are the 1198 Corse aluminum tanks and the 1198SP aluminum tanks.

So, paint it and sell the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that sucks. It appears the tank isn't expanding "much" like I've seen pics of on the forum here. But, it still has too much pressure and likes to leak. So I'm going to park it with low levels of fuel and then leave the gas cap open when I park it in the garage.

But yes, I think I've decided to have it painted again and then sell it. The bike is in really, really good condition. It's just too damn uncomfortable to ride given the kind of riding I've relegated myself too -- back and forth to work really.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Not all tanks expand..

2012 EVO plastic tank no expansion. I live in the states and use only premium gas, with plenty of ethanol in it.

Leave it as is and tell the buyer or buy a used tank from a reputable seller ( $300ish) install it and sell the bike.

Reactions: PhilaDucati848

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
If it has pressure check your vent hoses.

If you have or use ethanol fuel do not leave your cap open, in fact I would not recommend that at all.

If you can locate and use the non ethanol fuel you may be better off.

It seems there is an app for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the ethanol - finder app. The problem is you don't know which pumps have ethanol-free as they aren't necessarily marked.

There is a company that makes aluminum replacement tanks for SF 1098's, but each one is hand made and costs $2k. THey are sweet, and I almost ordered one, but you have no clue where you are on the list or if the wait is months or years (I have an 848 and the 1098 tank allegedly fits, just more capacity).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well that sucks. It appears the tank isn't expanding "much" like I've seen pics of on the forum here. But, it still has too much pressure and likes to leak. So I'm going to park it with low levels of fuel and then leave the gas cap open when I park it in the garage.
I have the exact same issue as you and I am so frustrated with it. I do the same thing when parked, i.e. pop the gas tank so that the pressure doesn't build up. Mine is a 2013 848 EVO.

I have read several posts where Ducati would cover the tank for up to 5 years from the date of purchase. My dealership has contacted both Ducati directly and through RPMOne since I have extended warranty, and was denied.

At this point I am more concerned with the pressure buildup. How can I check the vent tubes? I feel like if this is addressed then the fuel won't flow all over the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts