Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw a ziptie on my fork before my day yesterday to see how much the frontend is compressing. To my surprise I am nearly bottoming out the forks!

So I texted my buddy and the first thing he asked me was "are you getting any chatter?". I told him I didnt think so- and he said not to worry about it.

So my question is- what does chatter feel like? A few corners, when on the brakes hard, I can feel the rear moving around, but that's it. Bike feels great, tire wear looks right, so I am not concerned with any suspension settings, just curious as this this "chatter" that he mentioned

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Well, the oil chamber in the forks builds pressure when they compress and won't let the fork compress all the way unless for some reason its too low or the fork is setup very soft. So what you see with your zip tie is very normal, about 20mm before bottoming. Brake chatter is uncommon with these braking systems unless you have a warped rotor OR very soft suspension. You'd know what it feels like, the bike would be very uncontrollable entering corners, it would feel like you were going to crash.

In terms of your rear tire, bottom edge means you need to increase rebound, the tire is bouncing and you need to slow it down. If you haven't made very many suspension changes, maybe you should look into it since your going to the track more often.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK good to know. I certainly get nothing like that. Bikes stops straight and smooth
The only suspension changes it has seen is being set to my weight. Everything is OEM (that I can see)

how do you know which end of the bike the problem is located? Is rear tire wear indicative of rear shock, or do forks play a role in rear tire wear as well (as I'm almost positive they do)

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
That issue is absolutely a rear shock setting.

You won't feel a front fork issue unless your trail braking hard into a corner and are leaned over. Thats when the setup of the forks makes the largest impact on cornering. If your braking upright and are off the brakes by the time you enter the corner, you won't feel it because the forks won't be compressed as much.

So you were able to get sag front and rear? Remind me again, is it an 848 Corse?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I catch myself trail-braking from time to time, but generally its when i have overcooked my entrance. I try to have my braking down before turn-in

this is an 1198.
I can get the measurements from the shop. They keep record of the setups they do

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Ok kool… yea the corner of the caliper was silver looking, like the 848 caliper. :)

Umm yea, see what they set the bike up like. My guess is, you just need a few more clicks of rebound in the rear to start with. If your not over-heating those tires (which you clearly aren't) then you should be OK with what you have until you're a bit quicker.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
That zip tie looks to be in the right place...in other words, you're not bottoming, but you're not far from it either. I've bottomed mine and you would definitely know the difference. My zip ties were all the way at the bottom of the fork too. As I got faster (and probably fatter), I had to change the springs to the next level up in stiffness.

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I think my last day of the season (depending on weather) will be the 28th. I will play around with it then.

Just a click at a time I suppose?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts