Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I noticed a small drop of oil on the floor after I'd parked the bike, had a look underneath and about dead centre of the bike inside the lower fairing I saw this. One or two of the bolts were wet with oil.

A) What is this plate?
B) How do I stop the leak ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
This plate covers the oil filter screen, which is at the lowest part of the sump.

When you re-install this plate after doing oil changes, its important to put some minimal sealant on the gasket to prevent leaks like this. Most likely thats why its leaking so badly. In this case, I would simply replace that o ring when you do your next oil change, clean up the screws and you should be OK.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
That is the plate that covers the hole that the oil screen resides. The screen is a round tube shaped part about 3" tall, maybe 1-1/4" in diam. kinda gets the big stuff floating in the oil. The Big Bolt next to it is, of course, the oil drain plug. If it is just a very small film of oil I wouldn't worry about it.
If it is a bother, you can remove the plate, clean the screen, and reinstall using a really good sealant, like Yamabond or equal. Or take it to a Dealer for the next oil change if so inclined.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
No O-ring on here on the standard plate. Only on accessory ones.
You can either use the Three Bond type of sealant (Yamaha Bond etc) or use the black rubberised gasket that some models came with. Or both.
It is worth replacing those cheese-headed screws with better ones. You'll often have trouble getting them undone, as the Loctite used in the original assembly often overcomes the Allen-head engagement of the screws.
You still want a fairly shallow head. ProBolt do a nice 6 x 20 titanium bolt with a low, tapered head..
I'll do you a pic..

:)

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Yea, yea, I was pulling Pats leg. :)

I mistyped earlier… as I said gasket first and then said o ring, whoops.

The forum police are after me! LOL :D
No you weren't. As always, you try and correct your ignorant, flawed advice and information after the fact. And you are not entitled to "pull Pat's leg". You are just an ignorant, dishonest toad.

And you are a post changer from way back. Handing out thoughtless, ignorant opinions from your own miserable perspective, with no consideration for the different needs and experiences of others.

Then trying to change it in the light of information from others wiser than yourself.

Childish, cowardly and dishonest.

:blah:

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
You are just an ignorant, dishonest toad… Handing out thoughtless, ignorant opinions from your own miserable perspective, with no consideration for the different needs and experiences of others.

Childish, cowardly and dishonest.
These comments really hurt Pat. I really thought higher of you, and you let me and the other members of the forum down quite a bit with your handling of a non-issue. For you to even post these comments, really shows what kind of person you are deep inside. It saddens me greatly and it tarnishes the forum to a point far beyond anything else that's happened of recent.

·
Registered
770 Posts
These comments really hurt Pat. I really thought higher of you, and you let me and the other members of the forum down quite a bit with your handling of a non-issue. For you to even post these comments, really shows what kind of person you are deep inside. It saddens me greatly and it tarnishes the forum to a point far beyond anything else that's happened of recent.
Pat's a good guy, always has been, always will be....and I've learnt a lot off his friendly advice. He's just finally cracked like the rest of us.

Pat has never tarnished this forum....ever.
You on the other hand...

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Pat has been a long time contributor to this Forum, since 2008/2009, when it was Ducati-Spot...And really a backbone to the membership. His insights to all things Ducati has been an inspiration, and over the years we have shared many posts. He is a valued member.

On another note,.. Glad to see you back Velocemoto, Aussie_Bob....... Life is good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hahaah wow, I turn my back for a day and this escalates quickly !
Thanks for the advice Pat, looks like I will need to get the O-ring replacement kit PDQ.

Cheers guys.

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
hahaah wow, I turn my back for a day and this escalates quickly !
Thanks for the advice Pat, looks like I will need to get the O-ring replacement kit PDQ.

Cheers guys.
You'll find most poste with Tye in them "escalate"

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
You'll find most poste with Tye in them "escalate"
Not to use a serious and realistic analogy, but I really feel like a minority living in L.A. It doesn't matter what you do, could be simply walking down the sidewalk, the cops will find you and figure out a reason why you shouldn't be there. Say one wrong thing, make one step towards them, you'll most likely spend the night in county lockup or worse, get shot.

Everyone makes mistakes, I was thinking of something entirely different when I typed the word "o ring" after CLEARLY typing "gasket" above that. So a logical, rational person may deduce, I really meant gasket and mistyped the word "o ring". Then when I made a joke about it, to make light of the misuse (since it was so obviously wrong), I spent the night in the county lockup as a consequence.

When you see these symbols :) or :D or ;) or LOL, they mean "joke", they mean, someone is having a laugh. Generally when someone clearly types the opposite of the truth then tacks on one of those symbols at the end, it means they're joking.

Too bad the cops don't have a sense of humor. :D

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
^^ Not with a ten foot pole,.... not even mine!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts