Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just bought a 2009 ninja 500r because I was told I needed a smaller bike to be comfortable on before I could move up to the duc but they are pretty much the same size wise, 4lbs difference weight wise. The ninja is a little lower stock than the duc but I had the duc lowered so they are about the same now. What's the big difference that I'm not seeing that makes the ninja such a great first bike?

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Pretty much the same size of bike, my daughter started with a Ninja 250.... which is now a 300....
that is pretty much a beginner bike....

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading on different forums that the 500 was a good beginner bike that's why I went with this one

·
Administrator
2,954 Posts
It's considered a beginner bike because is light (relatively), narrow, and doesn't have too much power for a beginner to handle. It's main advantage for you, now, is that it has a more upright riding position, and wider bars than the Ducati. Many find that easier to learn with than the low, narrow clipons of a more cutting edge sportbike. I know my ex-GF should've gone with an SV650, and not the S model with clipons.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also noticed (while parking it in my garage) I could move it around easier on my own (despite being about the same weight as the duc) and the bikes handle bars turn farther. Like 6 inches in each direction as opposed to the duc that is like 2 inches lol

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
It's all in the feel. Hard to really describe it in words (aside from what Neil said). Ride it around for a while and you'll notice all the differences, whatever they may be...positive or negative. Then you can compare for yourself and see what you think.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also feel much less pushed up against the gas tank on the ninja

·
Registered
438 Posts
wow that was fast, got a check cut in less then a week.
went from ducatichick to ninjachick.

I like the SV650 as well for a beginner bike. low/skinny and relativity cheap and 650cc for the highway
The ninja was Kawasaki 's main stay sport bike for a while but it has since been used as a commuter/beginner bike. it great for it's purpose

·
Registered
438 Posts
O-yes I remember those meaningless hook up days... have fun and always wear protecting :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
well, if you are gonna be ninja chick, i'm deducting one point. Don't sweat it too much though. Where i live, we have 7 metric ass tons of great looking girls that are only threes because all they like to do is buy shoes and complain.
There are a lot of answers to your 748/ninja question. The ninja was made to be comfortable, economical commuter\ beginner street bike with it's low foot pegs, high bars, cushy seat, friendly power, and small turning radius. In contrast, the 748 was designed by some batshit crazy Italian guy who obviously borrowed the ergonomics ideas from something used by the inquisitors during the dark ages. And the target market was apparently masochists who didn't want to pony up for the 916/996/998, and folks going out for Pro Thunder and BOTT (battle of the twins) racing. Good stuff and popular at the time.
My 998 and the 748 share the same ergos. And people who have ridden it have used adjectives like 'torture rack' to describe it. Hell, my kidneys ache just at the thought of a freeway ride on the thing. However, when you get to the race track it does begin to make sense. The high pegs keep your feet off the deck in corners, the thin seat makes for a better rider/bike interface, the tall tank is great to stuff your outside knee into, the sloped chair helps hold you forward when on the gas, and gives your inside leg more ground clearance when you scoot back on the way into a turn, and even the limited steering throw is done intentionally to keep a head shake from becoming a deadly tank slapper. So, maybe some day, when the ninja no longer blows your skirt up, or you feel compelled to hit up your local track for a little bit of pure old fashioned unmitigated fun, the 748 will be there, more than up to the task. I won't go into its stunning looks, as stuff like that tends to be rather subjective.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Ducati superbikes are not good beginner bikes. Don't care who you are or what you say, they just aren't. They aren't easy to ride. They aren't forgiving. Once you figure them out, they are fast and fun but there is a learning curve. I had been riding for over 15 years, raced with WERA and FASTRAX, went through 3 CBR600s and several dirt bikes and I STILL found that I had to get used to the 1098.

The Monster and probably the new Scrambler are much more forgiving as far as a Ducati goes. Get some miles on the 500 and then come back to the Duc when you are feeling more confident.

Mary

·
Registered
555 Posts
Indeed Mary, If i rode a street bike it would be a monster.. Like the old 900. What a nice bike. Softer suspension, but not a couch, ergos you can live with for more than 8 laps..and still has that lovely torque, the deep rumble with the clitter clatter of the clutch on top....The suprebike on public roads is the perfect recipe for a suspended drivers license.......and chronic back pain

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
250 would be a better difference maker. Going from my cbr 600 to the 848 didnt feel like a big leap. Honestly I think the Ducati is harder to ride it takes a much more aggressive approach to enjoy the bikes potential. When I see comments the bike is hard to tip in I tend to think it's because they are use to the Japanese not that it's actually harder. Then again it's probably that I just trust it more than my cbr..

·
Registered
555 Posts
250 would be a better difference maker. Going from my cbr 600 to the 848 didnt feel like a big leap. Honestly I think the Ducati is harder to ride it takes a much more aggressive approach to enjoy the bikes potential. When I see comments the bike is hard to tip in I tend to think it's because they are use to the Japanese not that it's actually harder. Then again it's probably that I just trust it more than my cbr..
I didn't really understand it at the time, but in the late 90's i was an ardent GSXR 750 guy. One day at Streets of Willow I rode a 916. Unfamiliar bike, not set up for me, heavier, and about 15 horse power less..First session I was a full second faster than i ever was... Before i looked at lap times, I thought i was at least 4 seconds slower, as i never felt as if i was really going... Its just what the bikes were made to do..

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have to say I own a monster 796 and an 03 999 and my god there is a huge learning curve for that bike. I agree with learning on a 250 or 500 or even a monster then moving onto the superbikes. Just my .02

1 - 20 of 29 Posts