the iu27 denso is the iridium version with the correct terminal top
also the iu27 u will have to tap the gap down a bit to match the
mar10a-j that is stock in the ducati.
the denso iu27a is equal to the the iu27 except its has the identical
terminal top to the cr9eix witch is ridged and we need the fat terminal

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've ordered the Denso IU27 for my 1098 w/ Termi Slips, Race ECU. Just FOR THE RECORD - Is this correct? What is the gap for these plugs for the Ducati 1098 in inches or mm ? Please help/Advise. Thanks fella's.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
i just put the iu27's in my 1198
starts quicker... ya your right
um...gap is in owner manual

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
i just put the iu27's in my 1198
starts quicker... ya your right
um...gap is in owner manual

Interesting... gonna pass this on for my 7500 mile service. Gonna do it in a month or so. Thanks Mr. J!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
ya.. just rember to tell your service rep... duc ngk plugs are on the up side of 60 bucks a peice.... the iu27's are around 13 at any dealership. If you dont tell him not to change ur plugs they will still charge u
you do have to slightly regap them but its micrometers... very small.
and to get the stock ones out use the tool in the lil red bag that came with the duc. flip the toold and u can use the opposite side to put in the iu27's and be careful not to over torque them. i pulled up a service manual on a 1098 and used those torque specs for my 1198 if i rember it was like 8nM or so...

Over all its cheaper... starts better and will last longer then stock cuase its iridiums.
although they burn 1 heat range hotter then stock. i have not noticed a differences in heat.
it seems to warm up quicker but i dont have any data to support that.

But for sure the starting is a hell of alot better. i used to slightly give it gas on start. no i dont have to at all. Im very pleased

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a thought on regapping the new plugs, the NGK iridium plugs have a caution on the packet NOT to alter the gap on their plugs because the iridium electrodes can tollerate a larger gap for the same voltage.

Part of the performance gain is from running a bigger gap for a bigger spark.

I wasted time regapping two out of eight plugs for the car last week before I noticed the warning on the box. Reset the gaps on the two back to original. The difference was almost 20-30% larger gap over my workshop manual and they are running great.

Ross

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Just a thought on regapping the new plugs, the NGK iridium plugs have a caution on the packet NOT to alter the gap on their plugs because the iridium electrodes can tollerate a larger gap for the same voltage.

Part of the performance gain is from running a bigger gap for a bigger spark.

I wasted time regapping two out of eight plugs for the car last week before I noticed the warning on the box. Reset the gaps on the two back to original. The difference was almost 20-30% larger gap over my workshop manual and they are running great.

Ross
A larger gap than recommended puts significantly greater load on the coils. The coils will run hotter and suffer a reduced lifespan. There aint no free lunch.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
eltwin is right....
as the water boy put it
"my momma told me heat is the Devil!"

·
Registered
213 Posts
A larger gap than recommended puts significantly greater load on the coils. The coils will run hotter and suffer a reduced lifespan. There aint no free lunch.
It's not so much heat because the primary current that creates the heat is still the same. The biggest problem is that the secondary voltage increases as the gap gets larger, and there's a greater chance that flashover can occur, or worse, total insulation failure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would like to use the Denso iridium plugs, but where are you guys getting the cross-reference information that says they are the correct part (other than trial and error). I've played around on the Denso website and they have no listing for the 848. The closest thing I've found is the Ducati part number listing [67040381(MAR10A-J)]on the Denso website and they don't show a replacement plug (regular, iridium power, or iridium tough).

http://www.denso.co.jp/ja/products/aftermarket/repair_parts/plug/cross_ref/2009_01.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
NGK. MAR10A-J.
Identical to standard spare part - half the price. In yellow NGK box instead of red Ducati box. Saves $60 in Australia..
:D
Hello Pat where you get the spark plugs here in australia im from melbourne any link ,
thanks for you help:)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Do Not Re-Gap Iridium Spark Plugs

It's not so much heat because the primary current that creates the heat is still the same. The biggest problem is that the secondary voltage increases as the gap gets larger, and there's a greater chance that flashover can occur, or worse, total insulation failure.
Sorry, no.

Iridium plugs have a caution on the packet NOT to alter the gap on their plugs because the iridium electrodes can tolerate a larger gap for the same voltage. Part of the performance gain is from running a bigger gap for a bigger spark.

Iridium plugs have a fine wire electrode that results in firing at lower voltages and therefore needs a larger gap to generate a healthy spark. A larger gap will result in fewer misfires.

Iridium plugs NEED to be gapped larger. Some owners make the mistake of gapping them to the specification for non-iridium/platinum plugs. You have to install them as gapped (0.035 in.) straight out of the box, NOT the 0.024 in. that Ducati specifies for use with conventional spark plugs.

Misfire problems don’t develop until the engine warms up, and coincidently as the fueling leans out because of temperature sensors. Fine wire electrode plugs that are gapped too small have trouble firing lean mixtures, particularly at high rpm.

More here ...

Iridium Spark Plugs Anyone? - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here's an interesting thought in the Denso v NGK debate; my Tacoma (Hilux to the non-Americans) came with one head with three Densos and one head with three NGKs.

Personally, the cost/reward of using iridium plugs isn't there. Maybe if you're using a tougher fuel to ignite, the added plug gap would be a benefit, but streetbike, street gas, I don't see it.

But for the four year old original question, I use standard NGK plugs in my all my bikes, except my race bikes. Those get the standard plug, except one step cooler.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do not re-gap any spark plug ever

Best not to re-gap any plug ever, and also never use a plug that has been dropped.

Re-gapping substantially increases the likelihood of plug failure and engine damage. If the gap is close to what you desire, use it... If it's way off, do not use it.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Hello Pat where you get the spark plugs here in australia im from melbourne any link ,
thanks for you help:)
Hi Duca - Just spotted this by chance.
Any bike shop which sells NGK plugs (most of them!) can get these in for you, if they don't carry them already.
I got mine 'off the shelf' at The Bike Factory here in Adelaide, but I'm sure you won't have trouble finding them.
Just ring around the shops.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Duca - Just spotted this by chance.
Any bike shop which sells NGK plugs (most of them!) can get these in for you, if they don't carry them already.
I got mine 'off the shelf' at The Bike Factory here in Adelaide, but I'm sure you won't have trouble finding them.
Just ring around the shops.
Thank you mate:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's an interesting thought in the Denso v NGK debate; my Tacoma (Hilux to the non-Americans) came with one head with three Densos and one head with three NGKs.

Personally, the cost/reward of using iridium plugs isn't there. Maybe if you're using a tougher fuel to ignite, the added plug gap would be a benefit, but streetbike, street gas, I don't see it.

But for the four year old original question, I use standard NGK plugs in my all my bikes, except my race bikes. Those get the standard plug, except one step cooler.
I thought it was weird when I changed the plugs on my '09 Tacoma and found mixed brands. All Denso Iridium Power plugs now. Iridium plugs do not need a bigger plug gap. The point of the iridium is they do no corrode or get consumed as easily as other materials. They can also make the electrode point smaller for a more concentrated spark.

Spark Plug Construction: DENSO Iridium

41 - 60 of 66 Posts