Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 900 ss Nuda. What spools or sliders should I get for a maintenance stand? It doesn't look as if there is a stand that will safely facilitate removing the rear wheel when the time comes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Sure..

Tell us what kind of bike you have.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do not use swingarm spools on a Supersport. When the suspension compresses it will poke holes in your carbon fiber exhaust. No need to ask how I know this.

Get a rear stand that has the padded brackets that lift from under the swingarm.

As far as sliders its a Ducati not a KawaYamaZuki stunt bike. Get good insurance and don't worry about sliders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Shrek, It's the 2001 900 ss Nuda pictured above (it has 1000ds lower faring from previous owner).

Perazzimx, Ouch! My condolences. Hard Lesson Learned or Lesson Learned Hard. Did you drill and tap the swingarm for your spools? The Viper slip-ons are easily removed and re-installed in conjunction with installation and removal of spools (learning from your difficult to talk about mistake). Notice the swingarm on the left side, padded brackets have to be positioned further forward on the swingarm than the sprocket bolts due to limited clearence between the sprocket bolts and the swingarm. The only option I can foresee at this point is the axle spools for regular chain maintenance with a trip to the dealer for a tire or sprocket change.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes I tapped the swingarm but not eh whole way through. With spools there isn't a problem hittng the cans when the bike is sitting static or for the most part even when moving. It happens when the bikes rear suspension compresses almost all the way. So in reality you could leave the exhaust alone and remove only the spools when riding to remove the threat of damage to the cans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, drilling and tapping seems to be the way to go. Where did you locate the holes, I don't want to weaken my swingarm by drilling in the wrong place.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do not use swingarm spools on a Supersport. When the suspension compresses it will poke holes in your carbon fiber exhaust. No need to ask how I know this.

Get a rear stand that has the padded brackets that lift from under the swingarm.

As far as sliders its a Ducati not a KawaYamaZuki stunt bike. Get good insurance and don't worry about sliders.
What a stupid comment!! Don't get sliders it's a Ducati - yep that's pretty good advice cause only Japanese bikes should use slider cause we're all above that!!:wtf:

·
Registered
156 Posts
What a stupid comment!! Don't get sliders it's a Ducati - yep that's pretty good advice cause only Japanese bikes should use slider cause we're all above that!!:wtf:
No, even when I owned Japanese bikes I never used sliders. They are only good for low speed and tipovers and then you still have at a minium rashed plastic and rashed engine cased. So now you are out of pocket the slider cost, cosmetic repair and any structural/engine repairs. So the best thing in my opinion is take the $150 for slides and pay for some good insurance. So I guess I am above sliders!

To the OP I have a steel swingarm on my 96 900ss so I drilled a 10mm hole about 3/4" ahead of the chain adjustment slot. I actually didn't tap the swingarm as it is only about 1/8" thick. I did put a nut and lock washer inide the box tube. Next winter I am planning on removing the swingarm to get it powdercoated. At that time I will get the holes welded shut and have rod couplings welded on the underside of the swingarm so the spools are easily removable.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
just get a stand that has flats to lift under the swing arm..

or do what I did for the first 8 years.. use a set of cheap car stands with the adjustable pins to set height.

1. with bike on side stand place one car stand on the high side of bike, pin in first hole under the swing arm aboiut 6" forward of adjuster..

2. using TWO hands, stand bike to up right. if bike sits on stand just before being upright.. go to 3.. if it is NOT on the stand, repeat step 1, maybe raise one hole. if the bike fell over.. sell the bloody thing coz you're too stupid to own a bike.

3.using one foot slide the other stand to an equ-distant spot, lift the bike onto the right stand, then, with just a little muscle,, raise the bike up onto right stand and kick the left stand under the swing arm..

4. check wheel turns.. grab a beer coz that bike is more stable than it was just on the side stand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts