Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the Proper Voltage reading should be on a fully charged Shorai?

I'm using the battery tender now because it came with the bike and i will order a shorai charger next week(highly suggested with this battery i guess). I charged the battery last night on the tender and when plugged in the voltage from the cluster read 13-13.1. I know on most of the internet sites they say thats a fully charged batt but i ran into a couple articles stating it should be way higher than that, some guys were claiming 13.5 or more. What are your guys readings? I just bought this bike and will be taking it on a road trip without putting any seat time in so i dont want to be stranded

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Ummmmm 12.5-12.7 is normal from a charger. All my batteries have been in this range when the charger is taken off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From the Shorai website:

Note that those are no-load voltages, meaning measured at the terminal and not at the dash. The dedicated charger should ease your concerns as it will properly maintain the battery.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
That sounds about correct. When all is fully charged and I turn on the key, the dash registers 12.4. When the headlight goes out it goes up to 12.7 so with no key, lights or load on, I suspect it would be around 12.9 or so.

·
Registered
182 Posts
not for me to doubt Shorai website but 13.1V is 40% and 13.3V is 90% and 14.3V is 100%??????? Doesn't seem correct but whatever.

I raced RC cars for a few years and they are all using LiPo batteries that are similar to these LiFe batteries I believe.

I've used the balancing port to check cells and they seem to be very well balanced with the regular old battery tender hooked up so I don't really know if the battery has a balancer inside itself or some other type of circuitry...RC batteries tended to unbalance after a short time.

I do know that if the battery gets down to 13.0 or 12.9V on the dash it didn't seem to have much jam for starting my track bike. Especially if cold. The battery did seem to get better once it warmed up as per the instructions...

Anyways just remember not to let the alarm on the bike kill the battery over time and hit the tender before too much time passes and you should always have enough jam to start...

I like Shorai batteries a lot for the track bike. Not 100% sure I'll put one in my street bike. Maybe one day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know on most of the internet sites they say thats a fully charged batt but i ran into a couple articles stating it should be way higher than that, some guys were claiming 13.5 or more. What are your guys readings? I just bought this bike and will be taking it on a road trip without putting any seat time in so i dont want to be stranded.??

·
Registered
464 Posts
My dash registers around 12.5v and the battery has no problems starting the bike even at 50F.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know on most of the internet sites they say thats a fully charged batt but i ran into a couple articles stating it should be way higher than that, some guys were claiming 13.5 or more. What are your guys readings? I just bought this bike and will be taking it on a road trip without putting any seat time in so i dont want to be stranded.??
Im in the exact same boat lol Trailering 2000kms to vegas then heading off from there so being stranded is not an option. I've researched and am not much better than i was at the start. Theres so many differing answers on the net about the proper voltage. My bike reads 12.7 with the headlight on so for me that perfect because most say 12.7 is fully charged. The 1098's take a lot of juice to start(maybe just mine) and when the cluster read 12.4 she wasnt gonna start but it was very cold in the garage. I would charge the battery up and if its cold out bring it in. let it get to room temp then try it out, if its below 12.5 volts after being charged id maybe get a new battery.

Disclaimer: Im a nobody who googles everything so what i say is not always correct lol

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
What size Shorai do you have?? Sometimes it's not the volts but the cranking amps that cause the problem. You should have an LFX18A1-BS12 in the bike but as the LFX14 or LFX12A1 are the same physical size, maybe the original 14Ah was replaced with a 14Ah.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts