Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been doing my research on the interweb and there are a few options available to us faced with the issue of the Desmo and that bloody rear wheels.

We have the 999R set up, which is a tough one as they are rarer than rocking horse shit to find, the option of PVM which is a good one or go for the Marchesini MR7 Genesi…

I have been deliberating and procrastinating on this since before I got the Desmo, but it’s time to pull the trigger. Given that most of the riding I will do will be on the road and very far away from the edge of the extreme with this bike, I really do not need the lightness of magnesium and I’ve always preferred the design of the Marchesini’s. And yes, I’m well aware of the lead in times for manufacture and the fact they will be heavier…. Decision made, well almost…!!

However, my questions are these;

Marchesini do not seem to list the Alu MR7S for the Desmo, but I have found a couple of references to the 999 option in aluminium. So, is it easy enough to order the wheels for fitment to a 999 then modify as you would to put the 999R wheels on the Desmo…?

Colour – I really really love the gold, but I’ve never seen a Desmo with gold wheels… any thoughts..?

Cheers!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't help you with advice on what wheels to get but I would stick with black.
I hear you - the black is nice, but I keep thinking back to proper racing Ducati's of old and they all had gold wheels and looked great.

Is anyone on here good with photoshop...?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oz has (more durable) aluminum wheels that look like the stock wheels (with one less spoke, IIRC).
Not seen the OZ ones you mention. Closest I've seen to the standard ones are by PVM. They're nice, but I think a little too skinny for the Desmo.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say they would be more durable? Aluminium used in most wheels (unless buying something exceptionally cheap off the net from China or the like) should be more than up to the job of road and spirited track riding I'd have thought?

Here is a picture of the Marchesini Wheel. They look almost identical. Think the chunkiness of these suits the Desmo better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links.

Strangely, I was going to send you an e-mail today. Will speak in a while.

·
DucatiSpot Ambassador
498 Posts
Most of us Brits have gone down the Dymag route. They do a nice forged wheel off the shelf, looks very close to the standard and not a bad price either...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw the Dymag's, not a fan I have to say although I'm sure they do the trick.

So, back to my original question - does anybody know if it's possible to order the MR7S Aluminium wheel for the 999R and modify to fit the Desmo? Or better still, do Marchesini make them in alu to fit the Desmo? I have fired an e-mail off to them, wonder if they reply within say 6-8weeks.. they are in Italy after all....!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
...with a lowered suspension and extended swingarm. yikes. Gold rims? Really? Dunno about your neck of the woods, but here people with gold rims have massive bitch lines. Makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...with a lowered suspension and extended swingarm. yikes. Gold rims? Really? Dunno about your neck of the woods, but here people with gold rims have massive bitch lines. Makes perfect sense to me.
I think you've got exactly where I'm coming from.

Other plans include a red chain, chrome panels, mirror screen and a ream of red and blue LED lights... Not to mention the over sized DC boots, low rise shorts, a flimsy t-shirt and helmet with a skull painted on it....

:blind:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now on a more sensible post...

I think they'd look great. Found a US based company that seems to suggest about $3k for a f/r pair!!

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am going to go for a set of bst carbons. 17/17, well priced too.
Can anyone tell me their experience on the 16.5 inch rear ?, my Desmo simply has very poor traction from that Bridgestone tyre especially when its a bit cool.
i might post this as a seperate question as well.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I think you'd have problems maybe getting 16.5 rubber in the future. Well, at a reasonable price. FIM are switching their series to 17 to bring everything in line with the road bikes.
Plenty of people run a 17 with no issue so it can't upset the geometry too much.

I'll fire off a mail to JHP racing and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I am going to go for a set of bst carbons. 17/17, well priced too.
Can anyone tell me their experience on the 16.5 inch rear ?, my Desmo simply has very poor traction from that Bridgestone tyre especially when its a bit cool.
i might post this as a seperate question as well.
I wouldn't run BST's on the track. They are no lighter than the OZ cativas and repairs are a huge issue. I've trashed three sets of BSTs and have sworn off them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have put BSTs on mine. I use it for track and road - not a huge amount but a smidge over 5,500 miles in two years. I'll post here if and when I trash them!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have them on a couple of bikes yet and love the durability. You can slam them in ways that would taco a metal rim and they just ask for more. The problem is if they do get damaged... you can make a nice clock out of them? Metal rims can be repaired.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts