Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Do you mean the entire LCD dashboard?

Odometer refers to the analog days with rotating numbers. Today everything is done digitally and the term odometer kinda doesn't exist anymore.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yep it's a dead/defunct term with our modern bikes.

Just remember, you can't swap the dash without reprogramming the ecu.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Why are you saying that? the Odometer is integrated in the cluster/dash and has been that way for as long as I can remember car or bike...
Well, back not that long ago, most manufacturers used a mechanical cable and ran it up to speedometer gauge which had the odometer built-in. In most cases, this gauge was separate from the tachometer, so henceforth if you wanted to replace the odometer/speedometer component, it was sold separately. As electronics took over, the name for that component changed from odometer/speedometer to gauge cluster and then to dashboard. Plus, analog odometers contained the data within them.

So the name odometer/speedometer in this context doesn't really mean anything. The current LCD dashboards don't contain much data, they are only presenting data the ECU produces. Sure, the actual odometer data is saved within the dash, but it's digital data only displayed via the LCD.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Trying to say an OD us only analog and the term no longer uses is just wrong....
The OP couldn't find the part he was looking for because he was using the term odometer. Years ago, that term would have worked fine, but today the term doesn't reference gauges, it references a number. I was simply trying to explain that so he'd understand.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Dutch, the ECU controls the immobilizer system. This is why the moment you put an aftermarket ECU in the bike, the immobilizer system is disabled and you can remove the key and keyfab system from the bike entirely, yet still use the stock dash. The whole point of the immobilizer system is to prevent the bike from being started and the ECU does all of that work, not the dash. When you re-program, you are linking the programming to the ECU and dash.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The Termi ECU isn't really an aftermarket ECU, it's a Ducati ECU which has been re-mapped.

Aftermarket ECU's are Nemesis and Microtech units.

When you use those ECU's, there is no immobilizer system what so ever and no option to run one.

So the dashboard doesn't control any part of the immobilizer system. It's just part of the loop; key, ecu, dash.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dutch you were right first time, there is no immobilisor in the ecu. The ecu has a simple on/off setting as to whether it requires permission from the immobilisor (in the dash) to allow engine start. The aftermarket ecu's ( and tweaked oem ecu's) simply sets that to no so the ecu does not need an ok from the immobilisor to fire up.

The immobilisor and decoding is entirely in the dash.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Because the immobilizer is in the dash and the aftermarket dash can't tell the immobilizer that it's ok to start...it seems to me that you answered your own question.

Isn't that why people sell the dashboard with the keys and immobilizer as a set?

Obviously I could be wrong as I am still pretty new to Ducati, but that has always been my understanding, otherwise when you put a DP ecu in, it wouldn't be plug and play, you would have to program it for your individual bike.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.