Ducati.org forum banner

Where is . . .? and What is this?

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  pilgrim86314 
#1 ·
I'll freely confess ignorance - but that doesn't mean I like doing it! :sneaky:

I'm looking for the ECM on my 2006 ST3 S so I can attach a Dobeck injection cheater on it and don't find a black box that looks to me like an ECM.

Is this it? I ask because what's pictured is nothing like what I find on line when I go looking for one to see what it should look like.

Whatever this is, is a Korean-manufactured item - and their corporate website does not show that they make products for Ducatis, at least not nowadays. 2006? Don't know.

The last owner of the bike had an aftermarket exhaust on it (Termis, I think) that he took off and gave away. I'm wondering if this should have gone with the pipes.

And if it's not the ECU, where would I find it?

Pilgrim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine

See less See more
#4 ·
The object in question is definitely a coil - and further exploration revealed another one, identical, at another location. Each coil has two high-tension leads, which led me to explore the wiring and engine further - which brought to light the fact that this engine is dual-plugged. Nowhere, in all the reading I've done, have I come across this crucial fact. Very interesting, and it helps explain how the engine manages to handle the high compression it generates.

But I still can't find the ECM! Aussie Bob, I looked down by the battery. There's a couple of gang plugs down there and a 40A fuse on the other end of it, but nothing that I recognize as the ECM.

#6 ·
The gang plugs are plugged into the ecu which should be bolted to the upright of the battery tray.

Sounds like you need to source some manuals.

Try carlsalter.com
Or - 2006 ST3-ST3S-ABS.pdf
Thank you, Ausie_Bob. You're right about further manuals, of course. I have LT Snyder's book, neatly trimmed of its binding and put into a 3-ring binder, but wasn't finding what I needed there. That schematic provides just what I was looking for.

Pilgrim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.