Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I've just signed up today. I'm looking for some help with choosing new plates for my 1098s Tricolore. I road ride and fairly hard. Am considering Barnett plates and just looking advice or recommendations on which type and make to go for. It's a Ducati performance dry slipper clutch. Al help and advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have an STM slipper on mine and my experiences with Barnett were not the very best. Have had nothing but trouble with engaging, wear, rideability & serviceability. Ended up going with actual Ducati brand plates and have been more than happy with them!

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Surflex makes the best slipper clutch disks in my view. They're made of kevlar, so they can deal with the heat much better. I believe motowheels still sells them, if you shoot them a call.

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Just for future reference, I have the ducabike kevlar units on sale. As a new member, know that there is a member discount code for you. DUCORG10

These plates are among the best.
Clutch Plate Kit EVO Kevlar

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, I've just signed up today. I'm looking for some help with choosing new plates for my 1098s Tricolore. I road ride and fairly hard. Am considering Barnett plates and just looking advice or recommendations on which type and make to go for. It's a Ducati performance dry slipper clutch. Al help and advice gratefully received.
I have bought EVR slipper clutch full kit. It`s comming to me from Japan. During 10 days I am suposing to get it. And I will tell you about my feelings after installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
If your set is still in spec just clean them up fine sandpaper and brake cleaner. When they are out of spec replace the whole clutch with EVR. OEM DP sucks ass (sorry).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only getting round to this now...... Need plates and a basket. Are the EVR basket and plates compatible with the Ducati performance slipper hub? What should the stack height be for my clutch! I like riding them but have no mechanical knowledge. Am looking at EVR basket and plates or else NGR titanium basket but they have no plates to match?....... I'm lost!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I used a 48 tooth EVR Basket and plates in my 1098R DP slipper, raced it for years, and loved it... I now have a couple of DP slipper dry clutch conversions in my 848 motors..love them also .... can't say one is any better than the other...stack height is 36.5mm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great stuff guys. Help much appreciated. @219R - did you have any problem with the evr basket and dp slipper fitment? Just spoke with a company who supply it and they told me it won't fit with the dp slipper because of 'ramps' on the slipper or something?

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Great stuff guys. Help much appreciated. @219R - did you have any problem with the evr basket and dp slipper fitment? Just spoke with a company who supply it and they told me it won't fit with the dp slipper because of 'ramps' on the slipper or something?
I used this EVR basket and plates with my OEM DP slipper that came on my 1098R..

EVR Ducati 48T Sintered Plates & Clutch Basket Set: Ducati OEM Slipper Clutch Replacement [36.5mm Stack Height] 749R/1098R/1198R Corse/1198SP

I had no problems what so ever, mater of fact, I really like the fitment and operation, quieter than the OEM 12 tooth friction plates, the steel drive plates were pretty much the same,..... but for sure, I would follow your dealer input, as it may be different than the one I used...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If your clutch uses a lightweight (and often expensive) aluminum basket, you should avoid using sintered plates. Sintered plates are steel and will cause impact damage (notching) to the softer aluminum. Ducati recommends replacing the basket when the combination of basket notching and plate tab deformation increases the gap between the clutch basket finger and the clutch plate tab to more than 0.6 mm.

Most vendors won’t even tell you this but Motowheels (to their credit) offer this advice: ”NOTE: The sintered plates are steel and tend to wear out aluminum baskets faster than organic aluminum plates.”

Even a hard coat anodized basket will suffer damage from steel plates. The hard coat surface overlay is only 0.01 to 0.05 mm thick, so although it provides good wear resistance, it can't equal the impact durability of steel.

If you use organic based friction material that is usually bonded to aluminum plates, the plate fingers will suffer the damage instead — or at least equally with the basket. The plates are the wear items so you’d like to have the basket survive more than one clutch pack before needing replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts